The Train Back To Puri

Cold wind stroked her face as she sat in front of the window looking at the bay. She inhaled the fresh smell of the ocean and closed her eyes for a moment to feel the sensation of her soft grey-black hair falling on her face. She uncapped the fountain pen and opened the diary.

Dear Anubhav,

See how time passes. It was like yesterday I met you on the train back to Puri. Remember how I was ridiculously arguing about the berth? And how you were talking to me. Politely. See how ironic that now people around me call me calm and polite while I laugh as I remember the day back on the train. Whereat the end of the argument I apologized. Yes! That was weird.

I still remember the day on the train when we had our first proper conversation. Where you were just a stranger to me? It's been 12 years since that day. The day I shared the train berth. Do you remember we had our tea together? In that Kullad?? And how you were so ecstatic about drinking tea in an earthen cup! While I preferred a nice cup of coffee. I still remember the day when I drank tea while enjoying it rather than ranting about it.

I still remember the evening on the train back to Puri. When it started drizzling. Oh god! I clearly remember how delighted you were to see the light rain while inhaling the mitti ki khushbu. While I was upset about the fact that the network was gone! How I was ranting about the online game I was playing. I still remember the day on the train way back to puri where I looked at those lush green fields with a smile rather than ignoring them like I always did.

I still remember the evening on the train back to Puri. Where you shared your never-ending hilarious stories with me. I remember how you told me about all those stories of your house party. I listened to you and laughed at them rather than asking you to keep quiet.

I still remember the night on the train back to Puri where you were so excited about sleeping on the berth. And I was ranting about sleeping on those hard berth beds. I still remember how I talked all night with you talking about life and its virtues. I still remember when I saw a new you who had beautiful thinking about life. I still remember the night when you changed my way of thinking.

I still remember the day on the Train back to Puri where I found you. A person with life and happiness. A person with no desire for materialistic things. A person who enjoyed living all those small things which I liked to ignore or wasn't grateful about.

I still remember the train back to Puri. Where you promised to meet again. Even after I asked you why you had the confidence to make a statement like that. While you just smiled and repeated the same sentence.

I remember all the details of the day on the train back to Puri after those 12 long years. I still wait for you at the station of Old Puri to meet you again. I still wait for you to continue those deep conversations about life. I am still waiting for you to listen to your funny stories. I still want to have tea in Kullad while enjoying drizzling and the soothing scent of the earth.

I am still waiting for you to come and meet the new Haseena Mallik who isn't rude anymore. Who cherish all those small things in life.

I will wait for you, and will always remember the day on the train back to Puri.

Haseena Mallik

She capped her pen and closed the diary.  She inhaled the scent of the heavenly ocean with a peaceful smile on her face looking at the neverending ocean.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This particular one is inspired by an epistolary from Rabindranath Tagore

Hope you enjoyed the short. 

Do vote and comment.