NINE

xinlong gulped, the air thick with tension as the boy gathered around in the room. all boys were dressed purely in black, himself sporting the darkly coloured hoodie and jeans, along with a matching face mask to hide his identity. he looked around at the other boys, all dressed similarly as they huddled around the table. xinlongs heart was pounding, and he was sure shuyangs was too. how could it not? they were about to embark on their first real mission. it was horrifying.

they were quiet as hanyu circled some things on a whiteboard with a map pinned to it. they weren't at they base, instead opting to hide out in one of the warehouses until go-time, which was in less than two hours. xinlongs palms were sweating, he leaned heavily into zihaos side (who must have seen his distress). hanyu sighed, placing the dry-erase marker onto the lip of the board, turning to the other five.

"alright, we all remember the plan right? me, joey, and seven will meet the guys there, zephyr, ace and mark will-" hanyu went to explain, voice muffled by his mask before being cut off my the third youngest.

"we know ge, you've told us a million times." he said, tilting his head. hanyu could only sigh and nod, knowing the over-bearing side of him was coming out once again. "and yknow, we all have weapons if something goes wrong." zeyu pointed out, hanyu shaking his head in response.

"this is different, we need to avoid as much confrontation as possible. we cant be fucking with NCT." the eldest explained, earning an understanding nod from the others. there was another bout of silence shared around, xinlong could feel the stress darting around the cold room.

he looked over towards shuyang, who was staring idly at the spot before him. his leg bounced rapidly, and his fingers bent in weird ways that made xinlong cringe. he knew shuyang was in his own world, likely trying to fend off a panic attack, he'd seen those mannerisims more times than he could count. quietly, he reached over and slipped his hand into shuyangs, the younger boy snapping out of his trance quickly. xinlong smiled, shuyang mirroring the action and lacing their fingers together, as if an attempt to thank his friend.

he looked towards zeyu, whos eyes darted around the whiteboard with precision. it was rare he saw zeyu like this, or any of the other original gang-members. normally, with small runs or missions, the boys were easy going and relaxed. it wasnt often he saw all of them so tense, so stuck in their thoughts. it shocked him a little bit, maybe even scared him.

finally, as if he came to a decision, hanyu sighed and looked towards the boys. "mark, go get it quickly." he said omminously, mingrui perking up and running over to the back of the room. xinlong watched in confusion as the boy began to rummage around in one of the black shoulder-bags they had brought, containing weapons and other items they may require or their mission. mingrui let out a triumphant noise, before trotting his way back to the group, back towards hanyu.

he placed an object in hanyus hand, the eldet nodding as he looked it over. it seemed only the two of them knew what was going on, considering the other four looked towards each other in confusion. before finally, hanyu held out the item for the boys to see. in his hand, he held mingruis specially constructed bomb, the red button sticking out like a sore thumb on top.

"listen, especially mark, ace, and zephyr." the three boys mentioned leaned in closer, staring at the explosive hanyu held. "if this goes off, go back to the base and dont leave until i get back. ill only set it off in an emergency, got it?" the three nodded, though seemingly shocked at the new intstructions given.

"this is terrifying." shuyang mumbled, hand still clasped in xinlongs as he anxiously pulled his knees to his chest, messy hair dropping in front of his eyes. gently, zeyu pat his back in an attempt to comfort the boy.

"dont worry, we're way stronger than them anyways." zeyu bluffed, earning a scoff from zihao.

"yeah, big-shots NCT versus six teenagers and a bomb. great." zihao drawled, though his eyes curled up in a little smile. the statement earned a small chuckle out of the worried boys, xinlong feeling shuyangs grasp slightly loosen.

"i like that, we should change our gang name." xinlong jokingly suggested, getting mixed responses at the idea. he took in a deep breath and sighed. they'd be alright. they had to be. if they all worked together, nothing could go wrong, right?

// a shorter chapter today because im working on a lot lately ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️i hope you enjoyed