Chapter 7

Pov y/n

I nervously bite my lip while typing. I don't want to put my friends or family in danger but I'm also worried they'll be really concerned about me when I just disappear.
The last texts in the group where about Jane and Liz coming back from their one-night-stands and now here am I with my text.

I'm gonna take a little break from social media and my phone, so don't wonder if I don't answer. Don't worry, I'm okay, just need a little time to collect my thoughts.

That should do it. My finger hovers over the send button and with another deep breath, I send the message and write a similar one to my family.

I put my phone down, trying not to look at if to see if I got a reply. With Kate's laptop in front of me, I log into my e-mail account to send my boss the mail that I'm quitting, for personal reasons.
It feels so wrong but it's the best I can do for now. He will read it on Monday, so I have two days until I should expect an answer.

Footsteps behind me tell me that Yelena is ready to take me to the bank. It's weird, knowing you walk around with the person who tried to kill you. I haven't really forgiven her for that, or more likely to make me panic but I do understand that she's probably the person who can protect me the best right now.

We drive in silence and I wonder if this is her or Kate's car or just rented. If I'm not mistaken, Yelena doesn't live in New York, therefore the car is probably rented.

I feel her eyes on me every now and then but keep looking out the window. There's a weird dynamic between us that I can't quite tell what it is. But considering we are basically strangers, that's not that unusual.
We arrive at the bank and get out of the car.

"Wouldn't it be easier, if I just wrote you a check? Then we wouldn't have to transfer the money?" I ask, having come up with the idea during the car ride.
"You lose a piece of paper easier than the money itself." She answers and I nod, that's true.

We enter the bank and I go to the ATM. We will try to get as much money out as possible right now, which shouldn't be that much because I remembered, having a savings account where most of my money is on. I can't reach that account with my credit card, so the money should be safe for now. Yelena and Kate agreed that this may be a smart idea and we will, for now, only empty my account that's linked to my credit card.

I sigh internally as I type in the amount of money I want and watch the ATM process. I have to identify myself two times before it starts making noise that tells me that the money is on its way.

A few seconds later, I grab the money out of the machine and wait for the rest. Yelena is looking at some information sheets so it's not that suspicious. I put the money in the bag I brought for it and tap my foot nervously. Luckily the machine didn't protest when I wanted that amount of money paid out, otherwise we might have gotten into a discussion with the staff here.

When my account is empty and the bag full, I turn to Yelena and nod, a silent sign that I'm ready.
We leave the bank and she looks around, her eyes searching for any kind of threat but there is none.

Around 15 minutes later, we're back at the apartment and I fall onto the couch, the bag still in my hand. This whole day tired me out pretty good.

"I found some cloths for you to sleep in." Kate announces and places the cloths beside me. I smile up at her and thank her. Yelena is already gone again, after telling us she's gonna buy something real quick.

"Hungry?" Kate asks and strolls over to the kitchen. I nod and turn around to watch her get out everything she needs to prepare macaroni and cheese. I always liked that.