Chapter 10: Epilogue

Pov Yelena

I feel the exhaustion of the day washing over me as I try to make fire. In total our drive was ten hours due to a traffic jam. On top of that we had breaks in between to go to the bathroom and eat something. We also did a stop in Montreal and I went to the bank to change some money because they have a different currency here.

It's now 7 pm and I've been up for16 hours, always a little tense and worried someone would follow us. Luckily, no one did but I was still worried. Saying goodbye to Kate this morning was hard as always. I love spending time with her, she's my best friend and somehow gives me comfort.

She doesn't judge me for my past and she also didn't judge me when I told her about my job. Of course, she wasn't happy when I told her I originally wanted to kill y/n but she understood and was more annoyed because I didn't tell her sooner. Hugging her today felt good and I could tell she was truly sad that we had to leave. I was and am too honestly. It were only a few days but I loved being back in New York and spending time with her.

The car ride was okay, we had the radio playing all the time. Mostly to fill the silence between us. I sensed that y/n had to process a lot while we left New York and I totally get that. As far as I know, her whole life is in New York and she just left it behind, without being able to properly say goodbye. It was all pretty rushed but I think we couldn't have stayed much longer. The assassin business works fast and I didn't want to risk her or my life.

Her eyes were mainly clued to the outside world, watching it fly by. Only a few times I caught her looking at me but when I looked over, she always looked away, almost shy.

Honestly, I don't know what this between me and her is. I can't deny that I have feelings for her but I don't want to show her, not yet. It's dangerous to let someone else know what and how you feel. They can easily use it against you and manipulate you with it. Not that I think y/n would do that but...I don't know. It's complicated.

The fact that she seems to feel something towards me makes it even more complicated and easier at the same time. This morning, when the word 'honey' slipped, she reacted in a way that I didn't expect. She blushed and got all shy, showing me that she probably liked it. I didn't mean for it to slip but it did. For a second I was scared, she would be annoyed or angry for some reason but she wasn't.

Now we're here in this cabin in the middle of the woods. It's a small cabin, only one bedroom and one bathroom. The kitchen and living room are in one room. There's no heating, only a fireplace.

Since it's already this late, it's cold and dark outside. The only light inside are a few candles at the moment. Turns out, electricity isn't stable out here. It'll be interesting to take a shower, hoping the water won't be too cold.

Finally the fire reaches the branches in the fireplace and with a crackling sound, the flame grows and radiates warmth. I sit back and watch the flames licking on the walls of the stone fireplace. Somehow fire always caught my eye with the way it moves and behaves, only following it's own rules.

I'm brought back to reality when a pillow is placed next to me. I tilt my head to look up at y/n who smiles at me, another pillow in her own hands.
"Might be more comfortable with a pillow." She says, a shy smile on her face. I return the smile in thanks and take the pillow, deciding to lay down. The rug beneath me is soft and I sigh internally when I lay back, my head resting on the pillow.

Y/n lays down next to me, this being the warmest place in the cabin. But she also brought a blanket, pulling it over herself and offering me the other half. I take it and place it over my stomach and legs, enjoying the calm moment.

Her breathing next to me is calm and on the other side I hear the fire cracking. If the situation wouldn't be this strange, I'd say it's a really nice moment.