Chapter 1: Welcome to Zaun

-5 years later

Magenta was now ten years old. Her heart absolutely longed to be in Zaun and to meet her aunt. With each passing day, the yearning grew. Her parents grew aware of that yearning. Also Magenta wanted to tell everyone about how awesome Vi was, but Vi strictly forbade her to tell anyone. That resulted in her often clashing with her mother. That worried Caitlyn and Vi. Hoping to make her daughter pleased, Vi went out and bought her clothes from Zaun. Magenta adored every outfit and wore them all the time, but she still was not allowed to go to Zaun. 

'Okay. I got everything I think I will need.' Magenta's mind whispered. It was the dead of the night. She walked to her window after creating a dummy under her blankets with extra pillows and opened it. Looking down, she realized how high her home was up. She carefully climbed out the window and closed it. Then she scaled down the building, landing on the pipes below.

'No turning back now.' Magenta started down the pipes, heading into Zaun. She finally reached it and her mind was simply blown at how cool Zaun was. Walking the streets, she made her way to the Last Drop. The lights that had once been neon-green were now neon-pink and electric-blue.

"What the heck is a Piltie kid doing down here?" a woman snapped, grabbing Magenta by her collar. Magenta recognized her as Sevika, the woman whose arm was missing thanks to Vi.

"I'm looking for my Auntie Jinx." Magenta protested, wiggling as she attempted to put her feet on the ground.

"Say. Now that I have you level with me, you look a lot like her sister and that stupid Enforcer. Come on, rug rat." Sevika huffed, carrying the girl through the bar by her collar.

"I can walk!" Magenta spat, twisting herself violently. Sevika looked at her as they walked into an office.

"Hey, Jinx. Your niece stopped by." Sevika muttered, dropping Magenta. The chair spun around to reveal a much older Jinx. Same electric-blue hair, but with longer braids. Her shimmer-colored eyes studied Magenta.

"My WHAT?" Jinx demanded, her voice dripping with venom. Magenta looked at her with wide bright-blue eyes.

"This is Vi and that Enforcer's kid. Looks like them." Sevika scoffed, nudging Magenta roughly with her boot. Suddenly, Jinx had a gun aimed at Sevika's head. Even though it wasn't her machine gun, her pistol still meant she wasn't playing around.

"Don't hurt my niece." she growled.

"Get out, Sevika. They'll be coming for her once they realize she's gone." Jinx added. Sevika left with a huff, leaving Magenta alone with her aunt.

"What's your name, kiddo?" Jinx asked, hopping onto the floor to sit next to the ten year old girl.

"Magenta." Magenta told her.

"Hmmm. So long and Piltie like. I'm gonna call you Mag!" Jinx declared, poking Mag's nose. Mag giggled, earning a wider smile from Jinx.

"I cannot believe my own sister would not invite me to her wedding first of all. That makes me angry. And then she won't tell me I have a niece? Unbelievable. Right, Mag?" Jinx queried, pulling her into her lap.

"Mama didn't invite you to her and Mommy's wedding?" Mag questioned, astonished.

"Of course she didn't tell you. Wow. Lying to her own daughter. Her own flesh and blood." Jinx whispered, playing with the braid that ran down Mag's back. It started pink and then faded to blue.

"Mama doesn't let me talk about her being a Zaunite. She became an Enforcer with Mommy to make good to her name." Mag told her.

"And she hates it when Mommy tells me stories about her. Mommy insists that I should know more about Mama, but Mama gets angry about it." she added.