𝗢𝗡𝗘 ❚ 𝗲𝗽𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗱𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲

"ON THE FIRST DAY OF OCTOBER, 1984, FORTY-THREE WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD SIMULTANEOUSLY GAVE BIRTH. None of the women showed any prior signs of pregnancy.  Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and playboy adventurer, made it his personal mission to find and adopt as many of these children as possible. He got eight of them."

A LIGHTNING. A scream. A high pitched creak. And then, the floor under my back.

My eyelids fly open and I look directely into the foggy sky. There are noises around me, squeals and honking and chattering voices.

The pain in my head begins to get better but immediately gets worse when I try to sit up slowly.

I try to make sense of my surroundings. I seem to be on a lively street. Positive: there are actual real-life people. Negative: it's to modern for the 70s. Damn, it didn't work. Another negative thing: I lie in the middle of a street and am sorrounded by cars. Directly in front of me is a city taxi and the driver looks, as if he has seen how I got here.

Shit.

The last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself. And the only thing I wanted was to be in the 70s. The 80s would be okay too. But I have no clue when I am. It is clearly neither the 70s nor the 80s.

I look down at myself. I am dressed in my normal suit, but what really shocks me is the fact that my suitcase disappeared.

Suddenly, I see something strange. My hands, my legs, my face I touch in amazement... I am a teenager again! It worked!

At this moment, a woman jumps out of the taxi and runs in my direction. Great. Concerned clueless people. I hate them.

"Eight?"

I widen my eyes and jump on my feet. This woman knows me?

"Whoa, whoa!" I say and stare at her in shock. Then, I recognize her. It is the face from the cover, familiar and yet so strange. "Vanya?"

"Eight?" she echoes and comes nearer until she is only a metre away. "Number Eight? How- What- W- Why are you so young?"

Oh fuck. Explanations. Not really my strength.

"Uhm...," I begin, lifting my hands in defense, but Vanya already pulls my into a hug. I spit hair of hers out of my mouth and wait until she has calmed down a bit.

When she steps away, I ask seriously: "What date is it, Vanya?"

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY. My lovely, lovely home. As I stand in front of it, I tilt my head to look up at the familiar building with the old atmosphere.

"It looks a bit scrawny, intact like this, doesn't it?" I ask in thoughts. "I never would've guessed it had this many stones, you too?"

"Uhm...," Vanya says, stepping out of the taxi.

"Oh yeah, I forgot," I say. "That's all in the future. Literally. Now, let's get on with this so we can save the world after this shitty funeral."