6

The night sky is covered with flickering stars.

The warm, desert air slowly turns into a gentle, cool breeze as the temperature of the coast goes down.

A little girl sits patiently on the floor, her elbows resting on the brown coffee table with a half played through chess board in front of her.

She sighs and decides to get up.

She leaves the living room and enters the study.

She opens the door and sees her parents trying to piece something together.

Perhaps its a new mystery they've taken on.

Perhaps they have a new theory on a historical inaccuracy.

" Umm? (Mom?)"

Nothing.

" Baba? (Dad?)"

Nothing.

" Mama," She says, the volume of her voice increasing.

Without turning their heads, both of her parents speak, almost in sync.

" Not now, Cleopatra!"

Her eyes flicker away, the voices of her parents ringing through her ears as she tries to flush it out.

Cleo's body and mind agree on one thing. Neither want her to get out of bed. They speak to her, inviting her to stay in its warm embrace, but in spite of it, she gets up.

She drags her body into the kitchen. She gives Ana a few pets and sets down some food for her. She makes herself a cup of coffee in the large copper pot on the stove. She goes into the living room, wanting to just sit in her chair and gaze out the window, but a phone call draws her attention elsewhere. She enters the bedroom and grabs her phone, seeing that she's receiving a call from the museum.

" Hello?"

" Miss Hassan?"

" Yes."

" I'm from museum security. It appears that you left something in your office."

Cleo pauses, her mind rakes over every possibility, but she's certain she didn't leave anything behind.

" What is it?"

" An amulet, ma'am."

An amulet.

It all clicks inside her mind as a gush of oxygen enters her lungs.

" I'll come by to pick it up."

As she hangs up the phone, she can't help but chuckle, for she's convinced her little game payed off.