15 | Apologise

◯ △ ▢

The man closed his eyes, letting his head fall against the hard wall behind him. He slowly shook his head, feeling foolish.
The man had been so caught up on telling her that she had to work that he'd forgotten to make sure she ate this morning. It had been days since she'd eaten, knowing she hadn't in the games (although the food provided was minimal) and hadn't eaten the soup either.

He figured she had a fear of heights, obvious by the way she had gripped onto the wall of the platform and how her chest heaved up and down profusely. J had been observing her from afar the whole time. He felt way too guilty not to be checking up on her every two seconds. The man knew she'd fainted from her fear, but not eating most likely contributed to it.

Taking his gloves off, J placed his hands on her mask to finally remove it. He would have sooner, but he had needed to wait for everyone to leave before doing so.

The room was completely empty: all guards and the remaining players gone, only the bright lights of the teal and yellow shining down on them. He knew they'd shut off soon and the both of them would be left in the dark. But he didn't care. He cared more about her wellbeing right now than anything else.

Knowing the game had finished, J knew the cameras in the room most likely weren't being watched as the main priority, so he wasn't too worried about them.

The man placed her mask on the floor before pulling down the black cloth that confined her hair. Aera's black hair cascaded down her back, J still somehow managing to smell his own shampoo on her through his mask. He gently smiled, recognising the sweet smell.

He carefully grabbed her shoulders, pulling her close to him, her limp body resting against his. The girl laid between his legs, breathing slowly. J's large hands found their way to her small ones and he began massaging her fingers with his gloveless hands, hoping the movement would wake her.

J wanted to flip his mask up and rest is head on hers so badly, but that wasn't an option right now. He couldn't risk anything.

After a few minutes, of both their hands and bodies in close proximity, she started to move her head. J let out a sigh of relief as she was finally coming back to her senses. Her raven hair brushed against the red of his uniform.

He expected her to at least be slightly dazed or even tired, but as soon as Aera realised what was happening, she began pushing on his firm grip around her, trying to get away.

"Aera, stop." J stated, "Stop trying to fight it." his hands grabbed her wrists, Aera continuing to put pressure on him. The girl's head shot around to glare at his unfortunately covered eyes. "Stop." he told her once again.

She was a lot calmer a minute ago. He thought, his lips pressing into a thin line.

"Lay back down." His sudden soothing voice said, gently grabbing her shoulders to get her to return to her position.

She continued to glare, starting to raise her left brow. The girl may have only just woke up but she hadn't forgotten what had happened.

"What did I make you do last time? Lay back down. This time is no different, so lay back down, Aera. You just fainted, I don't want it happening for the third time." he spoke sympathetically, making an accurate point.

Aera thought about it for a second before muttering something under her breath and lying back down. The girl wouldn't admit it, but he was right. "Of all the places and you make me lay on your chest." she half-jokingly rolled her eyes.

It was silent between them for a few seconds. "I did try, you know." J commented quietly, the feeling of guilt overwhelming him. If he'd stopped the guard in the first place then she would have never fainted and she would have been perfectly fine.