ONE

«——— CHAPTER ONE———»

COLD BONES

HE DIDN'T REALLY KNOW WHO HE WAS LOOKING FOR but he knew he would know when he saw them

She had told him so much... explained everything about them. He could envision them in his mind. He had no doubt, while he was storming into the New York Institute with nothing more than a slip of paper that they would believe him.

They had to.

By the Angel, he hoped they would.

He maneuvered through the busybodies, shoving past them like a football player.

His spastic shuffling around the institute grabbed the attention of a shadowhunter standing guard. The tower of a man walked over with purpose.

Cam tried stepping into the main room when he stopped him, placing a hand on his chest.

"Hey! You can't be here."

"I'm good man!" He held up his visitor's pass. Cameron Karlile printed over a picture of his mug-shot-like photo.

"Only authorized personnel."

"Mayla Stonehart is in danger! You have to let me in!" He snapped, trying to shove passed the guard in his way.

They were there. He could see them. Mayla may have never shown pictures of her friends in New York but the stories and the descriptions. He recognized the Lightwoods gathered in a meeting, looking over the waterways of the city.

Alec, stood up straight from his hunched position. The Shadowhunter's words caught his attention. His sister placed a hand on his arm before walking over with authority.

"Let him through, Raj."

Raj skeptically followed the demand, shoving the brunet away from him and walking back to his post.

"Thank you." Cameron thanked with a sigh, fixing his jacket with a flourish pump, and a glare sent in Raj's direction. He hopped up the stairs, stepping into the main center. "Thank you."

A warlock, the man standing the corner trying to track a pierce of clothing seemed to swivel at the sight of Cameron. "And who are you?"

"Good question." Alec muttered.

"I'm from the Chicago Insitute, I'm here to help you guys look for May before it's too late," Cameron explained.

Lydia raised a brow and he walked over, fishing out the mission report that supposedly had never been sent back, and placed it on the table. "I got this from her a couple of hours ago."

Izzy walked over with a click of her heels, snatching the paper. It was small, charred in the edges, with words inked on it.

Ms. Mayla Stonehart,