FOUR

«——— CHAPTER FOUR———»
FAMILY BONDING

LAZARUS BROUGHT HIS HAND OUT IN FRONT OF HIM, with a sway of his arms and a spark of magic, he opened a portal for the group to hop through

LAZARUS BROUGHT HIS HAND OUT IN FRONT OF HIM, with a sway of his arms and a spark of magic, he opened a portal for the group to hop through. He extended his hand to her, the key to lead her to the right destination.

She gave him a look, staring at her hand before she walked over and took Jace's hand instead, making him turn to her in confusion. He looked over at Lazarus, his attempt to get any affection from his daughter, and pulled her closer to him.

He took Valentine's hand with his other before they led them through and dropped them off onto a quiet city street. There were few street lights, and no cars passing. An empty pizza place sat on the strip right in front of them.

It was boarded up and closed down... only the old sign gave them any clue of what it was.

"We're stopping for pizza?" Jace asked. Beside him, Mayla looked down at her hands, trying her hardest to generate any kind of magic she could now that she was beyond the borders of the ship. Nothing.

"Reggie's served the best pie in all of Brooklyn. Note the past tense." Valentine said. "When Reggie's wife Maria became a vampire she slaughtered Reggie and created a den inside."

Mayla's head perked up, looking up at the boarded-up windows. That was why she was itching in discomfort. Her hands fuming to use her restricted magic against something evil.

"What does this have to do with us?" Jace asked.

Valentine smiled, leaning passed Jace to look at the redhead eyeing the door. "To show you what you were made for."

Lazarus walked over to his daughter, leaning over to speak to her. "You feel that?" He asked. "With your magic restricted that glorious purpose still burns."

"You may be a voice for Downworlders, Mayla. But you are also a symbol of justice. The one to cleanse this world of monsters like Maria."

He looked to Jace. "And your Collective are to assist you in that purpose. Fight by your side."

Jace raise a brow with confusion, as his father placed a proud hand on his shoulder. He glanced at Mayla. He was missing something.

She looked up at the doors. They were just inside. 

It was like a soft buzzing in her ear... a quiet but defeating tone that left her hyperfocused. It was something nearby... an unjustifiable being. Her mind begged for justice. She cranked her neck.

Lazarus looked over her hunched figure, sparing his partner a look. A small nod told Valentine their plan was working.

A woman's scream echoed from inside the building. Mayla and Jace took off inside, ripping the door open.

Mayla knew this was her chance to run... to get out of there now that had distanced herself far enough from them. But her feet lead her into the pizza parlour instead.