TWO

«——— CHAPTER TWO———»
MISSING YOUR OTHER HALF

Mayla struggled to fight the shivering to change out of her wet clothes

Mayla struggled to fight the shivering to change out of her wet clothes. With numb hands that couldn't feel the softness of the fabric, she almost fumbled the simple long sleeve.

In a room full of men and monsters, she didn't care who watched. Who howled and cheered as she put on fresh garments. She was too cold, too tired, and too dizzy from the crisp ocean water to spare them any thought.

Once she put on the sweater and jeans she was pulled out of the cage and shoved in Jace's direction.

He was untied and changed into a shirt. "Jace!" Without much thought, she ran over and hugged him. He muscles ached but she still squeezed. He was like a steady rock keeping her standing on the rough waves under her feet. She held him tight, her hands craving for something real.

Maybe Jace and May weren't always close. Maybe the only thing they had in common for a long time was that they had Clary and Alec in their lives but here... on a ship where there wasn't much chance of getting off, they were the only people that felt safe. Like their feet wouldn't be swept out form under them. Just for a second.

The only people they knew they could trust.

He was so warm compared to her. She appreciated it more than she'd admit. He was breathing, standing... there wasn't much more she could ask for right now.

"Did he hurt you?" He asked.

"Tossed around a little but I'll be fine."

"What happened? How did they get you here?"

May blinked roughly, trying to clear her thoughts for a second. "Uhm... I reported to a mission command for this case. I left the group at Magnus's and then..." She tried clearing her thoughts, trying to put the pieces together. "I was jumped."

She remembers an alley, an attack from behind and a hard knock to her skull. Hefty arms carrying her off...

Jace looked over his shoulder at the men waiting for them at the doorway. His hand on her arm tightened when they approached impatiently.

"Let's go." The man reached over, grabbing Jace's arm, pulling him away from her. She reached her hand out but she was grabbed by the collar of her shirt and ripped away.

"Wait! Wait!" She called out with a rip in her throat. "Please wait!" 

She was towed down a hallway, her bare feet slipping on the metal as she tried to pull him off. It was useless when the creature gallons had dug not her muscle, his grip being inhumanly tight. She had to give into the trip around the shipping boat. 

The internal layout of the ship was a metal maze with bridges, heavy doors, and hollow halls. Nothing she could understand or decipher to get her way through.