Chapter 2

After that unexpected encounter with Yuri, you are glad to see her again. On your trek home, you begin reminiscing about your time before graduation. You checked your phone––9:21 PM––the lukewarm breeze carried your mind back to when you first met Yuri, during junior year.

She was like a fancy amusement park you would always pass by, although conscious of its existence, the details had never been rendered to your mind. Although one year younger than you, she has always been around your classroom during lunch and study periods. You knew she was certainly good-looking yet the fact that she never purposely dressed up somehow accentuated her beauty.

Your fate intertwined with her rather early. It was your first week as a junior on a new campus, so you were naturally eager to make friends. To increase your chances, the best way was to participate in after-school activities. Your strange passion for music brought you to join the jazz band activity club. Upon entering the club room, you were hit by the strong smell of oxidized metal and the stale air made you sneeze.

"Kyaaa!" a high-pitched voice broke the silence which made you jump.

As you rubbed your nose in confusion, a figure quickly approached you. Her knotted eyebrows slowly relaxed upon seeing your face. Her expression brightened as she jumped excitedly to greet you.

"Oh my god, hi, how are you, and um sorry for this unpleasant smell" The sudden outburst of her words made it difficult to understand.

"Um, hello, my name is Y/N. And I am here to join the jazz band." You hazily replied, thinking you might have accidentally stumbled into the wrong activity room as there is no one else around except for her. She quickly cleared her throat as she caught your perplexed countenance.

"In case you are wondering, you are in the right room, and I am your host." she quickly replied.

"So, I figure the rest of the members are just taking a break?" you asked hopefully.

She gave you a short awkward laugh, "last time I checked, jazz band member includes..." She looks down and starts counting her fingers, stopping in the middle, "you and me!"

After a brief pause, her eyes darkened. "Jazz band has always been neglected by the school," she continues gloomily, her energy clearly on low fuel, "this club had always been only me and no one––"

"I'd like to join!" You cut her off suddenly with great determination. You thought this was the perfect opportunity to get to know someone specifically and since it is your first day, one new friend isn't a bad start. She, however, was shaken by your interruption.

"Pardon?" she asked in a quiet voice. You cursed silently as you realized how rude that must have been.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt I was just––"

"Are you actually willing to join?" She instantly cut you off, staring at me dead in the eye as energy began to build from each word she speaks out. "Even if it's only the 2 of us? Even if the instruments are old? Even if I may not be a good conductor?"

"Yes?" You replied defenselessly, a little sick from all the questioning.

Her eyes suddenly lit up, "I can't believe it! That's wonderful!" she exclaimed happily, as if the gloominess never existed.

You gently tapped her on the shoulder as she begins spinning around, ranting about how wonderful it is to finally get a club member.

"Hi, sorry but you never introduced yourself, can I get your name?"

"Yuri, Jo Yuri, you can just call me Yuri, Y/N Oppa. I am glad to be acquainted with you" she replied playfully with a dazzling smile. Yes, the same smile from today.

That is when you recalled your relationship with Yuri started to progress rapidly. Both of you hung out nearly every day. Although you were in different grades, it never stopped her from coming to you daily.

"That's right, her name is Jo Yuri, how could I ever forget." You thought as you stepped onto your doorsteps. The memory of her began flooding back into your desolated mind. You sighed loudly as you lived on the memory from the past. Was it grievance or jubilation, you could not discern. You froze in front of your door, cherishing every piece of memory of your friendship with Yuri as your body saturates in the ever-glowing moonlight.

A light trail of footsteps approaches behind you. Your heartbeat quickened at the thought of Yuri, but when you turned around towards the source of the sound, a familiar figure stood a few meters away. Although the figure's facial features are hazy under the dim moonlight, you instantly recognized that delicate voice.

"Hey Y/N, it's been a while, hasn't it?"