run away p2

the entire ride back to charlie's house, nick holds charlie close. closer than he ever has before. nearly everyone in the car was crying, especially the three teens in the back. charlie's mum kept looking in the mirror back at charlie, as if she was making sure he was still here. nick really couldn't blame her. with everything that's happened, today and in the months prior, it must be difficult for her. she looks much more tired than nick remembers her looking before. charlie's dad was trying to keep the mood light, attempting to crack a joke here and there. only nick laughs, stiffly and simply out of politeness.

by the time they got back to the spring house, charlie was practically on nick's lap. tori was gripping her brother's hand, tighter than nick knew charlie would usually prefer but he could tell that they were both grateful for the support. nick all but insisted on carrying charlie inside. it was nearly four a.m. and everyone who had been at the house was asleep, aside from tao and nick's mum. "charlie!" tao is sobbing when they get inside. tao shakes elle gently awake and her eyes light up when she notices that they are there. charlie jumps out of his boyfriend's arms and hugs elle and tao tightly. issac and aled are awoken eventually and almost everyone is happily crying and reuniting. nick stands on the side with his mum, ignoring the feeling to scoop charlie up and hold him tightly.

charlie walks to the loveseat where olly has been sleeping, gently shaking his little brother. "charlie, you're home," olly yawns, reaching up to hug charlie. they hug for a long time before charlie's parents finally step in from the foyer, where they were chatting with the officers. "charlie, the officers need to speak with you in order to close the report," his dad says. charlie follows his dad to the foyer, leaving olly and tori on the loveseat. olly is asleep again within minutes. nick can hear mr. spring, charlie, and the officers talking quietly in the other room.

"mrs. spring?" nick calls for charlie's mum as she hangs up with tao's mum. "yes?" she says, stifling a yawn. "i know that i'm not allowed to stay overnight but i was wondering... since it's almost morning and we could keep the door open, i just don't want to leave him again so soon," nick is speaking faster than his brain can think. charlie's mum puts a hand on his shoulder, "if your mum is okay with it, i think it'll be okay. these are special circumstances." "thank you," nick says and, surprisingly to even himself, nick motions to hug the woman. the two boys have been dating for months and nick hasn't so much as shaken mrs. spring's hand. she has never been an especially physically affectionate person, to her children or otherwise. tonight, however, she collapses into the tall boy's arms.

"thank you for being here for him. thr-through it all. who knows where he w-would be without your help and support. it really means the world to me to know he h-has you," mrs. spring is sobbing again, like a dam has broken. she's whispering, barely audible, into the hug, so only the two can hear. after a couple more minutes, mr. spring and charlie come back into the room and charlie shoots a sad smile at nick as mrs. spring pulls away. "the officers think that we should take him to get checked out at the walk-in clinic as soon as it opens tomorrow," mr. spring says to his wife after showing the policemen out.

charlie looks at the floor, "i told you, i'm fine." his words are so soft that they can barely be heard, but so firm that they can't be ignored. his dad looks at his mum with a look that nick can't quite place before clearing his throat loudly amongst the various teens' conversations. "your parents will be here any moment to pick all of you up. i know you're excited to see charlie, but we all need our privacy and you all need to sleep. when he's ready to see everyone again, we will let you know," his dad announces, before adding, "so please gather your stuff and say goodbye to charlie for the night. and tori? would you mind putting olly to bed?" tori nods at her dad, picking up her youngest brother and taking him up to his room.

nick looks at charlie from where he is standing with his mum. charlie has an angry look in his eyes. nick whistles to get his attention and their eyes meet. charlie's glare softens as nick mouths to him, 'what's the matter?' charlie cocks his head to one side, which is something he does when he is confused. nick thinks it is very cute. he holds up one finger to his boyfriend, signaling for him to wait a moment, before turning to his mum. "can i stay tonight?" nick asks at the same time his mum says, "i presume you're staying over tonight." the pair laughs quietly, hugging, before his mum leaves, stopping to give each of the springs a hug as well. her hug with charlie is especially long and nick's face is taken over by a smile. he is so happy that his two favorite people get along.