party (university p2)

!!takes place after the nick and charlie novella. potential spoilers!!

nick and charlie spend the rest of the night in nick's bed, watching movies and holding eachother. they're up until almost three a.m., just talking about life and their futures and everything in between. after all their time apart, they want to spend as much time awake, together as they can. eventually, however, they do fall asleep. charlie first, then nick is out in what seems like seconds. when charlie wakes up the next day, after snoozing his alarm quite a few times, a smile takes over his face as he feels the unmistakable warmth of his boyfriend next to him. a feeling that charlie feels like he's been deprived of for far too long.

charlie is still, lying on nick's chest, looking up at him. the only noise in the room is their synchronized breathing. after a while longer, nick's alarm goes off and he stirs, reaching to his nightstand to turn it off. after his alarm is silent, he rubs his eyes, sleepily looking at the dark haired boy with a loving smile,"were you watching me sleep, charlie spring?" he whispers, smirking at charlie. "maybe i was, maybe not," comes charlie's sing-songy response. nick scoffs, amused, before checking the time on his phone. "it's already two," he groans, "we should probably get up."

"don't wanna," charlie says, burying his face in nick's shoulder. "i know, char," nick says, petting his boyfriend's curly hair, "but i want to show you some stuff around campus before the party tonight!" charlie's heart drops as he remembers the party later. nick's tone is so excited, however, that charlie can't bring himself to mention his nerves at the moment. instead he smiles, "yeah? and what did you want to show me?" "get up and get ready and i'll show you," nick says, excitedly shooing charlie out of bed. "alright, alright, i'm going," charlie gets up, raising his arms in surrender.

after the two change and do their morning routine, they are off. they walk, hand in hand, from nick's flat to campus, which isn't more than ten minutes. nick gives charlie a tour of his favorite places. the quad, the library, the bagel shop where nick gets his breakfast almost every morning. he also shows charlie the place where their lgbtq+ alliance meets. charlie marvels at all of the pride flags hanging around the room. "this is so cool," charlie smiles, taking in all of the -very queer- decorations in the room.

no matter where they went, nick always saw someone he knew. left and right, people where calling for nick, saying hi, exchanging pleasantries. nick would always introduce charlie to his friends. he must have heard the words, "this is my boyfriend, charlie" a hundred times throughout the day. each time, he would smile softly, and wave at whom ever he was being introduced to. he tried to remember names and faces of each person he met, but remembering names is not charlie's strong suit.

eventually, nick tells charlie to close his eyes. "you know you don't have to cover my eyes anytime you want to show me something, right?" charlie jokes as nick leads him, one hand over his eyes, the other on the small of his back. "shhh..." nick shushes the brown haired boy before laughing, "surprises are my love language." "i'm fully aware," charlie laughs. the pair stop suddenly. "okay, stand there and keep your eyes closed," nick instructs before adding, "please." "so polite," charlie says, smiling. he hears some rustling somewhere not too far away.

"okay, okay, you can open your eyes," nick says and charlie opens his eyes to his boyfriend, sat on picnic blanket. "did you plan a surprise picnic?" charlie can't hold back his smile. "yes! under my favorite tree on campus," nick says excitedly. charlie looks at the tree where the blanket is sat. it is large and beautiful with small pink blossoms both on the tree and ground, scattered around. in this light, the tree provides a perfect amount of shade for two people to sit under, not too little, but not too much. charlie briefly wonders how he got so lucky as he stares at nick, pulling things out of his backpack on the picnic blanket. nick wonders the same as charlie stands silently, with a goofy smile plastered on his face.