Chapter 3

The past week Almira has spent most of her time getting to know her new friend, Verity, and riding D'arcy, becoming more inseparable than ever.

She's come to know that Verity has absolutely no filter, and says whatever comes to her mind, and that she's brave enough to stand by whatever she said, no matter how idiotic it was.

She likes that Verity is always honest, she thought that there definitely is a shortage of honesty in this world full of lies and secrets.

She learned a lot about Verity's old home, how she used to play with her twin brother in the streets, with not a care in the world. Steeling the bread off of their auntie's counter, running away from the kitchen and their dog doing the exact same thing, thinking that it was a game of tag.

Sometimes they would trip over the dog and landed face down on the ground. And doing this all without stopping the giggles that erupted from their worry- free faces.

Almira's heart pained that her friend couldn't enjoy this no longer, and was pulled into this horrible reality she calls her own home.

She often wondered how her life would be like if she had such a joyous childhood, instead of growing up with this old fart they call the King.

Growing up with a mother's love.

She never asked about her mother, thinking that it was too a sensitive subject to discuss, yet again, her father was the most cold hearted man she had ever met. It wouldn't probably have any affect on him. But maybe the reason she never asked is because she isn't prepared yet for the answers.

******

Almira's currently standing in front of her mirror again, her armor that was specifically made for her, fitted perfectly around her body.
She truly was a beautiful girl, with dark hair, and olive skin. Her eyes burning bright yellow.

She looks like a true Sloan Soldier.

Although the armor was made of leather, it still felt very comfortable to wear.

She liked the way this armory made her feel, the sword sticked to her side.
It made her feel strong, in charge and almost powerful.

Heading outside, she sees Faolan at her post, they were going to train together today, since Almira hasn't done this in a while.
She wouldn't want her father to think that she was becoming weak.

She walked towards him, smiling when she saw that he was wearing his helmet she always made fun of.

It was a helmet with a pointy thing at the top which made him look like a little bird with ruffled hair.

And usually, when he took it off, he had extreme hat hair, with his dark curly locks sticking to his forehead.

"You ready for this?" He asked rhetorically, because he knew how her practices usually went.

"Is that a serious question?" She asked flicking his headpeace with her finger.
This wasn't going to be easy for either of them so they had to do their best at lightening the mood.

They both stood at their usual places, she was going to have to actually hit him this time, to see if her powers works on humans, not only trees and unliving objects.

She stood up straight, her legs bending a little bit to help with balance.
She placed her arms in front of her, bending her elbows, directing her deadly hands specifically at Faolan.

He had a pained expression on his face, as if he were keeping himself from bolting the other direction, he suddenly felt as if his birdy-helmet isn't enough protection.

Almira inhaled a big breath. With her exhale she pushed her hands forward, feeling the energy around her contouring into one line, shooting out towards Faolan, hitting his entire body with one shot, causing him to fly a few feet before hitting the ground with a thump and a groan.

"Oh my gosh, Faolan, are you okay?" she said slightly amused, skipping over towards him, making sure he doesn't see her satisfied grin on her face.

"I hate you" he groaned while getting up slowly, grunting as if he had just jumped off of a plain from a thousand miles high.

"You wouldn't get through life without me." she replied matter-of-factly. Still with a grin on her face.

"Well looks like I wouldn't get through it with you either" he snapped back playfully, indicating to his butt that would probably be bruised tomorrow.

She just scoffed, not having a reply for that. "I did it, it worked." she looked very proud of herself.

"Yes, congratulations." He said, dipping his head, then looked her straight in the eye, "Next time we use Max for the test-dummy, alright." throwing his thumb over at where Max was supposed to be.

Almira looked over Faolan's shoulder, "Where is Max anyways, I haven't seen him today." she asked, looking around to try and spot the Beta.

"Oh, looks like he's got himself a little distraction." Faolan said, pointing at his youngest pack member.

Max was busy talking to Verity, he looked so cute trying to impress her. Although she knew he was trying to do so, she acted totally oblivious.

Almira started walking towards them, Faolan right on her heels. He wondered who the new girl was, she looked beautiful, her hair light blonde.
He could even see from afar her eyes were ice blue, almost white. Making her look magical.

"Mira!" Verity said cheerfully, leaving Max where he was standing to come greet Almira, she stopped in her tracks when she saw a lean, dark, curly haired guy standing beside her.

Her smile dropped, she already didn't like him.
Faolan was freaked out by her sudden change of mood, taking one step back. She looked as if she was going to attack him any second.

"Hello," he said, bringing his hand up for her to shake. She didn't take it, just gave him a scary look.

"Do you speak English?" he asked, his voice changed in a accent of a French man, he cringed when he heard what had just came out of his mouth.

You stupid idiotic moron, he told himself.

Verity looked him up and down, sizing him up, I can definitely take him, she internally thought. Her hands tingling already from the coldness she was about to blast him with.

Almira noticed the change in Verity's mood and then remembered that she does not easily like people.
She had a very small number of friends, not because she couldn't make any, it was because she didn't see the value of having a lot of unnecessary friends, especially letting some get close to you just so that they could be gone the next moment.

"Verity," she adressed her politely, reminding her friend that she must be nice to strangers, "This is Faolan, my best friend."

Verity realized what message Almira was trying to give, "Oh." She said, snapping out of her daze. She still didn't like this "Faolan" dude.

Max came into the conversation quite with the perfect timing, right before Faolan was about to insult Verity because of her rudeness towards him.

What did I even do wrong?! he thought.

"Mira, your father has given us instructions to prepare for the Harvest." Max's voice broke the silence.

"Well then, let's go get the disguises.
I'm going as the Grandma this time."

*******

Hey Readers :)

I know the writers begging for votes are cringe and irritating, but please, hit that star button. ⭐

xoxo