Chapter 9

It had been another tiring week of school and dance practice, so once the weekend finally rolled around again, Ryan thought that he and Addy should take a much needed day off. He decided to take Addy to the arcade so they could just just hang out together and enjoy their off day while competing against each other in a bunch of arcade games.

"So, how's it feel to get beat by a girl?" Addy teased Ryan after scoring higher than him on one of the games.

Ryan rolled his eyes. "You only beat me this one time." he pointed out.

"Pshh, you got lucky on all the other ones. This is the only game that matters." Addy dismissed his comment, just continuing to celebrate her win, dancing around a little as she harmlessly bragged.

"Are you kidding me? I want a rematch." Ryan complained, pretending to be upset. But he was trying really hard not to laugh at how ridiculously cute Addy looked as she did her little victory dance.

"Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe I should just retire as champion." Addy joked, smirking at him.

"Come on, two out of three? Please?" he begged, causing her to finally agree.

However, with the two of them being so competitive, they ended up playing way too many rounds on that one game. They played it for so long that they almost lost track of time, only stopping when other people in the arcade started asking for a turn on the game.

"I'm not gonna lie, today's been pretty fun so far." Addy said as she took a bite of her popcorn. She and Ryan had taken a break from the games to get some snacks and were currently sitting down at one of the tables as they ate.

"Yeah. And the food here is so good." Ryan pointed out, eating one of his fries as Addy giggled.

"It's literally just fries, popcorn and soda. I'm sure your other junk food-loving friends would agree with you though." she replied with another laugh. "I'm surprised you didn't invite any of them to the arcade with us." she added as Ryan shrugged.

"Oh.... um yeah, they were busy." he fabricated. But in reality, the reason that he didn't invite any of his other friends was because he wanted to spend quality time with Addy. He had grown to enjoy hanging out with her after all the time they'd been spending together, and he preferred it to be just the two of them today. It felt strange to admit that to her though, so he just lied about it instead.

"So, do you wanna get back to the games now?" he quickly changed the subject.

"Sure. If you're ready to lose to me again." Addy teased him.

"Oh, we'll see about that." he playfully replied, standing up to follow Addy back over to the arcade games. Just then, he heard his phone ringing, removing it from his pocket to see who was calling.

It was Josh.

"Who's that?" Addy questioned curiously.

"Oh, it's just Josh. You go ahead, I'll be right there." Ryan replied as Addy nodded in understanding and walked off to start her turn on the game.

"Hey, Josh. What's up," Ryan said into the phone after he accepted the call.

"Hey, bro. Are you having fun on your date?" Josh asked him.

"Huh?"

"Your date with Addy at the arcade." Josh clarified. "I knew you had a thing for her." he joked, and Ryan could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

He narrowed his eyes in confusion, since he hadn't even told Josh that he was out with Addy. "W-what? Wait, how do you even know we're at the arcade right now-?" he stammered as he glanced around the place, but his eyes widened the size of saucers when he spotted Josh across the room, standing next to a Pac-Man machine, looking directly at Ryan with an annoying grin.