09. engaged

Author's Pov

Author's Pov

Shravani sat on the chair like a lifeless doll, her sister and a few make other aunties were making her ready for her so called engagement. An engagement she dreaded more than death.

Her face was emotionless but her eyes, they held so much pain and dejection. She couldn't believe, she was doing the things she despised more than anything in this world.

"You look beautiful, Vani. You look so much like how mama looked like on her wedding. Maa would be so proud of you." Reena said hugging Shravani from behind.

Accurately said. Just like her mother.

She couldn't help but smile sarcastically at the irony of her life. She had promised herself and her dead mother that she will never to end up in a miserable marriage like the latter.

Yet here she was getting engaged to a man she loathes.

Shravani smiled, genuinely, as their eyes met through the mirror. Her sister, her strength. The only person who had stood with her from the very beginning.

Yes, it might have been Reena who had forced her to accept the marriage but Shravani don't blame her nor hate her for that because she knew why her sister was forcing her accept it, she had grown mature enough to understand her sister's reasons.

They both were poles apart right from the beginning. She was the sarcastic one who walked around with a scowl on her face while her sister was the sweet golden child. Everyone loved her sister due to her soft nature and resented her for her nonchalant and reckless behaviour. Her sister was sensible whereas she was injudicious.

Their views always differed from that of the other yet in the end one of them always let the other win. Her sister has always supported her in every decision she have made and it was her who even made their father agree to them. Just like how she made their father agree to let Shravani study abroad.

Yet there was something common among them, their love for each other. And it was this love that made the two sisters stand for each other through thick and thin.

Love was pain and she never wished the pain upon herself.

Shravani knew she did never marry a man for love.

Growing up, she had seen both her mother and sister suffer in the name of love. Her mother, that poor woman never got the love and respect she deserved from the man she loved, her father. For him, she was just a commodity.

And her sister, she loved a man with all her heart only for him to leave her alone and broken. He taught her sister to love but he failed to teach her about the pain that love brings along with the sweet pleasure.

She had seen her sister breakdown with grief until due to love. She remembered how her sister cried and begged for him to come back only to receive a silence from the other side. She could never forget the pain and tribulation her sister undergo because of it.