001

LIVING IN A CRAPPY APARTMENT WAS A DRAG, especially when you had the money for a better one. Moving boxes and old furniture were everywhere, and it was a mess. Maia would've loved to have the place looking nice and clean already, but that was a hard thing to do when being a mom. "Mommy! I can't find my princess unicorn doll!"

Maia let out a deep sigh, running into the kitchen into presentable clothes. However, her hair was a mess and she had no makeup on. No time for hair and makeup. It was Cece's first day of kindergarten, and it was in the middle of the school year. Cece could not be one minute late for that school bus. "God. Uh...have you checked underneath the coffee table?" The surgeon moved quickly, putting a few waffles in the microwave. Hey, no one said she had to be the best cook for her kid. She was trying her best. They were in a rush because Maia overslept. "You know what, honey, you don't need your doll right now. Come eat. We only have ten minutes until your bus comes."

"But, Mommy!" Cece whined, a frown on her face. She loved her doll more than anything in the world, and needed to bring it with her for show and tell (even though it was only her first day of kindergarten, what kindergarten classroom didn't have show and tell?). Maia couldn't blame her— the doll had been with Cece in her toughest times— well, as tough as times can get for a five year old. "I have to have it for school. Uncle Matt gave it to me."

The infamous Uncle Matt was Maia's younger brother. He wasn't around too often, but visited a few times while Maia and Cece lived in Malawi. Cece became attached, and for sad when he hit the road a few months prior. For Cece's third birthday, Matt got her this doll, her princess unicorn doll, and she has adored it ever since.

Maia got down on her daughter's level, making sure to speak respectfully, but affectively. "Cece, sweetie, we are going to be late if you spend more time trying to find your doll. That will make me late. What happens when surgeons are late?"

"People die." The little girl rolled her eyes subtly, having heard that expression too many times for her liking.

"Yes, people die." Maia nodded, rubbing her daughter's shoulder with sincere apology. "I'm sorry, honey, but neither of us have time. I promise that when we get home tonight, I will help you look for your doll, then we maybe can watch a movie, just us gals."

"Promise?" Cece quirked a brow, holding out her pinky finger.

"I promise, honey." Maia smiled, connecting her pinky with her daughter's. She kissed the top of her head before standing up from the floor. "Now...hurry up and scarf down your waffle while we get your shoes on."

Cece smiled, taking the still minorly cold waffle, not caring that it wasn't fully cooked. She just wanted her to watch her favorite movie with her mother that night.

***

Trauma Certification Day was just in time for Maia Lee, the woman being put in charge of the seminar by a dear friend, and Chief of Seattle Grace Mercy West, Richard Webber. Her Trauma background really helped with the children in Malawi, so when he asked her to come to Seattle to run this seminar (and take their opening seat as head of Trauma), she couldn't say no. That was why she was standing before a group of disappointed residents, them just having found out there wasn't a super big trauma like Dr Hunt said there was.

"And I was so looking forward to an early lunch," one commented, the group looking down at all the dummies on the ground with distaste.

"This is gonna suck," and another.

"I would think your mother would've liked for you to cover all the bases of your surgical training, Grey," Maia spoke up, a smirk on her face, causing all the residents to look between her and Meredith back and forth.