002

MAIA NEVER THOUGHT SHE'D SEE MARK AGAIN, so she didn't plan anything to say when she was asked, "So, can I see my daughter," but the woman was a quick thinker, only mustering out one word, the only word she could think of.

"No," she spoke bluntly.

"Why not, Mai?" Mark made a noise of distaste, moving his eyes to Cece, who was hiding behind her mother's leg with a frightened expression, holding on tighter than ever before. "She's my daughter, too."

Maia scoffed, "I don't care." The surgeon then crouched down to her daughter's level, smiling with comfort. "Honey, why don't you go with this nice nurse back to daycare so Mommy can talk to her coworker, okay?"

Nurse Anna stood nearby, ready to take Cece's hand, but the five year old just clung tighter and tighter to Maia's leg. "No. I wanna stay with you, Mama."

"Cece, baby, this is important," Maia expressed. "The sooner Mommy finishes talking, the sooner we can go home and watch our princess unicorn movie. Please, let Nurse Anna take you back to daycare." Tears erupted from Cece's eyes as the nurse gently pulled her off Maia's leg, Maia feeling bad for making her daughter cry, but she needed to get rid of Mark. "That's it. Go with Anna. I'll see you in a little."

Nurse Anna was a trooper while carefully dragging the dramatic child away to daycare, avoiding all the stares from the public.

"Maybe she wouldn't be crying if you let her meet me," Mark proposed, wishing he could have some fatherly duties and wipe his daughter's tears. He wanted a family.

"You're about five years too late, mister." Maia muttered, pushing her pointer finger into his chest with force. "If you wanted a daughter, why didn't you go after me? Why, Mark? Why didn't you want to make things right?" The plastic surgeon was speechless, looking down at his shoes with guilt. Maia nodded, "Yeah, that's what I thought. Don't bother with us. We've done just fine without you, and we will continue on without you. Stay away from me and Cece, okay?"

Maia strutted off to daycare, hoping to console her daughter and take her home, smother her with cuddles and ice cream.

Mark stood there without a word to say, wondering if things would have been different if he had gone after her.

a/n: hi, i know this was EXTREMELY short, but i felt like their first interaction should be it's own little thing. i will be posting again soon!