Chapter 4: Maximus

I had been in the midst of arguing with Alpha Smith when the door creaked, alerting us of someone's presence. I rose from my seat slowly, before inhaling deeply. I had earlier smelt my mate but assumed that I simply smelled her since we were in her house. I had clearly been mistaken. Verbally uttering "ah" at my realization, I headed towards the door. To my surprise, my mate had not run away and hidden that she was spying, but instead turned towards me, shoulders rolled back and strength in her eyes. I felt a sense of pride warmly fill my chest, as I looked down at the strong woman who was my mate. She would make an incredible Luna.

Despite her strength though, I also knew she was only human and that the mate bond could be difficult on their bodies. I watched as her strength faltered and she looked as if she might pass out again.

"Woah there," I laughed, tentatively stepping towards her and offering her my arm, "don't want you passing out again."

She offered me a soft smile and held onto my arm. I felt the mate bond as soon as her skin came in contact with mine, as a cool, almost water-like sensation, passed through my arm. I slowly walked into the Alpha's office, a feeling of victory passing over me as he glared at her hand touching my arm. I didn't care how old he was, Alpha Smith held true to his reputation of his intimidating demeanor.

Trying to ease the tension, I turned to her, "Would you like to sit?"

Adorably, she nodded and muttered a "thank you," letting go of my arm as I pulled out the chair. She sat down and I pushed the chair in for her, before standing beside it. I felt a renewed strength with her by my side, despite missing the feeling of her hand on my forearm. I noticed her tracing her palm, and was overcome with joy at how delicately the mate bond was already forming.

"Evelyn, we were in the middle of a business meeting, why did you-" Alpha Smith found himself cut off.

"Dad, I'm not a child and I'm not stupid. I'm nineteen years old and I also have ears that work well. Are you proposing that I'm incapable of hearing or understanding when my name is used in a discussion?"

Shock passed through me at the boldness of her assertion. She was undoubtedly immensely intelligent, and I had only just met her.

The old man groaned, wiping a hand down his face and sighing. I watched as he contemplated how to answer.  I quickly realized it was a window of opportunity.

"Miss Evelyn," I started, watching as she turned in her seat to face me, "Since you fainted, I have felt very apologetic for potentially causing you any harm,  and so your father and I were discussing me extending my visit to make sure you have fully recovered. I also wouldn't want to add any stress to your fathers plate and continue business negations until he is able to clearly consider my offers."

I glanced at the Alpha as I stressed the words, having to contain a smirk at his glaring.

"Oh I see," she paused and looked at her father with a soft smile, "that's an incredibly kind offer."

I smiled in return, looking to the grimacing Alpha. I knew by extending my trip I could work to both woe Evelyn, and convince her parents to let me tell her the truth. If they could see the mate bond between us in effect, I hoped they would be more accepting. I simply couldn't live without her.

"That being said," I turned towards Evelyn in surprise, "I really am feeling better though. I wouldn't want you to have unnecessarily extend your trip," my mate thoughtfully said.

She looked to me with her golden orbs shrouded in concern. And yet, I saw a hesitation she held. She bit her lip and it took everything in me not to stare. I had a feeling that a minute part of her that felt the mate bond was pushing her to let me stay.