Chapter 25: Evelyn

My entire body writhed in pain, my skull pounding as if struck multiple times by a hammer. My throat felt as dry and gratey as a sandy plain.

I tried to collect my thoughts, but they seemed to be blurred. Time standing still and yet melting together.

What had happened? I questioned myself.

I dove into the confines of my mind, perplexed as to what had led me to such a state.

Memories of a body flooded in heat and then surrounded by an icy abyss came to mind, but all in flashes. I remember seeing the night sky with the stars twinkling brightly above my head and Max pressing a kiss to my lips. The salty taste of tears passed through them.

He was crying.

Why was Max crying?

I felt confused as his words faded in and out, in and out. My head throbbed to the point all I heard was ringing in my ears.

What was it he was saying?

"Evelyn," a cool hand pressed against my temple, "Evelyn...listen. I need... listen Evelyn. A painful pressing on you...body is snapping... half...stop fighting you have...stop fighting...Let it in," he begged.

He sounded like he was in so much despair. It echoed like a cavern.

I wanted to reach out and touch him. To comfort him. But what he was saying didn't make sense. I was in pain. Why would I stop fighting? I was sick wasn't I? Didn't I need to fight the infection?

I shook my head at him as much as I could and groaned. Pain shot through my body again, only hotter this time, as if my bones were metal rods being heated in a furnace.

"Evelyn!" he shouted. My blood ran cold. Something was wrong. I had to fight through the haze of my mind and listen. I had to listen to what he was saying.

"Evelyn you have...listen to me. You will not survive...accept this. I know you are in pain...it's painful once...this once...moment of pain...a lifetime of- of living."

I didn't know what to do. Accept the pain? My mind raced and I fought against the horrible churning feeling inside me before cracking my eyes barely open. Tears ran down my face.

So painful... so so painful.

I was in so much pain...

But, I trusted Maximus. I trusted him with my life.

Maximus' icy eyes were full of tears once again and he looked as if he was the one writhing in pain. "Please Evelyn," he begged, "please survive, I love you too much to lose you. I couldn't survive it. I couldn't bear it. Evelyn, you're s-so p-p-precious t-to m-me."

I needed to live.

I needed to live for Max.

I closed my eyes and he pressed his forehead against mine.

"Evelyn," he whispered, "I love you."

He pressed a gentle kiss to my lips and uttered something I hardly heard. I relaxed my entire body, allowing the pain to consume me. A fire burned over my entire body and I felt as if my stomach and bones were being broken all over.

Blazing heat. So hot my skin felt like it was melting off.

Pain like a thousand needles were coating my body and pricking my skin filled me.

The pain was so intense, I felt my conscientiousness fading.

Fading.

Fading.