Ch11. Curiosity Maimed the Cat

(A/n: digital art by Oleksandr Vaznichenko)

A week has passed since the two travelers escaped from the diseased village. During this time, they discovered a map of the surrounding area, which the hunter used to guide them to the city he needed to be. Their travel was quiet, leaving both to have minimal conversations. The day before they reached their destination, however, the young girl decided to ask him about his profession.

"What are you?" She asked, stopping in her tracks while doing their daily walk. The hunter stopped after taking a few more steps from the girl, the question catching him off guard. He sighed, knowing he had to choose his words carefully so as not to reveal too much of himself and the world he came from before inhabiting his current body.

"This looks like a good spot to rest," he stated, pointing to a pair of large rocks a few feet away from each other. They both walked to the rocks resting on them. Facing the girl, he answers her question: "I am Vincent, a hunter " he pauses before stating, " I hunt beasts."

The girl asked him another question. "Were those beasts that attacked my village"?

The hunter nodded in conformation and followed up with the statement: "all of them were beasts. Even the ones that look similar to ordinary people give them enough time, and they will become even more dangerous than they currently are."

The young girl nodded in understanding. She pondered this information, then asked: "is it a  sickness, and will it infect other people?"

The hunter sighed heavily, knowing if he answered truthfully, it could lead to the follow-up question being about her father and how he died, and trust in the hunter is to be relinquished as he has been in very close contact with these beasts practically bathing in their blood. The truth will come no matter how much he wants it to be avoided. He decided to tell the truth about the pathogen yet lie about the situation regarding her father. "Yes, it is a corruption of the mind through blood, and it can be caught the more a person is exposed to it." However, before she could ask another question, the hunter interrupted the girl asserting: "no, I can not be infected as quickly, and no, your father had died before any of what happened to the beasts got to him."

The girl gave him a look, her facial expression conveying an annoyed gaze exhibiting that she did not appreciate being interrupted.

The hunter, regardless, started standing back up, apologizing as he started making his trek toward the city once more. The girl had no other choice but to follow him, an idea formulating in her mind remembering how easily he had fought the beasts that were chasing her.