12

wilbur's point of view

i didn't sleep well the whole night. i just couldn't find a comfortable position. i kept switching sides but nothing helped. so, i stayed awake for a while just watching the storm outside.

it was pretty sick; i have no idea how the others didn't wake up from it. i kept thinking of izzy. why is she so scared of them? i want to know what happened, but it never feels like the right time to ask. whatever, i'll just go back to sleep.

shuffle

gasp

sobs

"what the fuck?" i think to myself. it's coming from behind me. i probably slept for half an hour, until i woke up and heard crying.

i turn so my back is to the window. oh shit, izzy's having a panic attack.

"what's going on?" i ask. she whips her head towards me and her eyes and nose are all red.

"oh, baby, come here" she's trapped in her blanket. i shuffle out of mine to get her free, and she immediately hugs me. i lead her back in my bed and try to calm her.

"you're hyperventilating" i breathe out. like that's going to do shit. why am i so awkward when it comes to these things?

i lay back down and pull her onto me; her weight is so comforting. "you're okaaay. relax your muscles and breathe." i heard that if you say "relax your muscles" instead of "relax," it's supposed to be more effective, so i guess we'll see if that's true.

i move my arms a bit around her back and waist, not wanting to tighten my grip. "you're okay," i whisper so quietly i don't know if she heard me. i put my head down and say it into her lavender-scented hair.

no vocal response yet, but she cranes her head into the crook of my neck and nods.

i realized that izzy would never be able to relax if i wasn't, so i took a deep breath and settled further into my mattress. i think that seemed to help, because she also took a (shaky) deep breath.

it's so comforting having her in my arms, so much that i could...fall asleep.

authors note
omgg hi guys. not me disappearing for over a month lol. i'm sorry about that, i don't really know what happened. i guess i just lost motivation. i started a new book, "it's kate" it's on my profile if you want to check it out! it's about music, mystery, and of course wilbur. it has a dark academia vibe to it, and i think it's pretty cool. anyway, that's all!
~ luca

word count: 451
date of publication: may 7 2022