Chapter 31. Don't play with fire

A/n: in this and upcoming chapters you'll periodically notice not quite healthy moments in their relationship, but i can assure you that it's only temporary and a bit later i'll explain the need for this : )

Y/n's POV:

I expected that sooner or later, Elizabeth and I would have problems with society and being public, but I didn't think it would come so quickly. Sitting in my office staring at a white wall doesn't really help me figure out what I should do, because this situation is far from being easily solved.

On the one hand, of course, I want to tell the whole truth to her, because starting a relationship with lies and secrets will certainly lead to its collapse sooner or later, but on the other hand, the poor woman is already under huge pressure every day. I notice how she often squeezes out smiles and I feel her tension in every even the slightest stressful situation, especially when it comes to the two of us.

Telling Elizabeth everything as it is would mean her sinking into an even more agitated and anxious state, which would obviously prevent her from feeling good enough, given that even now she manages to do it with difficulty. It's been only two days since she's back at work and she spent both evenings after that in my arms, refusing to let me go, just in comfortable silence which ended with me pleasuring her as she wished to help her relax a bit and take her mind off overthinking.

Seeing her like that was definitely painful, but it's still better than if she decided to go through all this shit herself. Scrolling in my head all the minutes of her weakness and the words about how glad she is to have me by her side, I understand that I absolutely do not want to make her go through even more negative emotions, fearing that at some point her psyche may not be able to withstand all of it.

"Baby?" I didn't notice how El entered my office, closing the door behind her and staring at me with concerned eyes as she slowly walked over to me. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, h-hi, yes I am, why are you asking?" I look up at her, fighting the urge to hide my eyes somewhere on the floor so as not to make eye contact with her because of what I was just thinking about.

"You had that expression on your face like you heard about someone's death," she says, standing near the other side of the table in front of me and leaning on it with both hands.

"That's my normal expression, don't worry," I give her a goofy smile, hoping she'll drop the subject.

Elizabeth only chuckles in response and goes around my desk from the side, sitting on it in a half turn towards me. "I have one meeting in the city center now, do you wanna come with me?" She asks, turning her head towards me and giving a warm, relaxed smile, tracing her finger over a wooden surface.

"I...I have some work to do, so I can't come with you today. How long will the meeting last?" I ask, mentally already setting myself up for the fact that I will need to go to this damned dinner in order to save Elizabeth from the additional stressful burden, as I thought a little earlier.

"Immediately after this one, I will also have to go to a restaurant to arrange a lease for an event, so I don't know. I'll probably be home at about 9 o'clock," she replies without taking her eyes off me and not removing her smile from her face.

"Why are you smiling?" My question makes her just shrug.

"I don't know, maybe because tomorrow we both have almost a day off and we can let ourselves to leave work early to go on a little date." Her dreamy sweet voice and alluring invitation to spend an evening with her in some romantic setting makes my heart skip a beat or two.

"I'm already yours, you know, you don't have to take me on dates," I smirk, mentally admiring how adorable and caring she is, but still thinking about my own today's meeting, even though all my inner world screams to me not to do it.