object of attraction

True to my words, I'd gone to pee. My lungs re-infused with oxygen, I'd sneaked in later, thankfully while all the attention was on Bea and Caelan.

After what felt like I'd been standing for ages, Vittorio ended the rehearsal. I was on the route for the stairs and then my bed when Tavin fell into step beside me.

"How are ya? Have you had the chance to see the rest of the castle yet?"

"No, just the kitchen."

"A very important part."

"Hey, Tavin," I hear Romy's friendly voice as she joins us. "How about a swim?"

"I was going to show Amera around."

Her smile falters at his blatant refusal and I feel bad. "It's okay. It's a beautiful day for a swim anyway."

"Oh, okay," he perks up with a warm smile. "I'll come get you. Don't want you to get lost."

Romy hangs off by the side, the awkwardness in the air getting worse with each word that comes out of Tavin's mouth.

"I'm perfectly capable. See you guys."

It feels like my legs are made of lead once I get in my room. I'd have liked to hang with Tavin, see what he's like under all the designer wear and smiles, but it's hard to ignore my discomfort when Romy looks deflated each time he says a word to me.

It'd be nice to finally see more of the castle though. The idea gives me the energy I need. So I put on a bikini and hang a sarong on my hip. I slip a novel, sunglasses and my phone in my tote and head downstairs.

I take my time studying the castle's interior as I walk, peeking nosily inside any open doors. I find a room with dark wood interior, having taxidermic animal heads hung high. Creeped out by how alive they look and getting the distinct feeling they were staring me down, I move on.

Pictures hang on the walls in the halls, telling of ancestors from years ago who'd held down the fort here. It feels like I've taken steps back in history and fallen into an era older than my existence.

Most of it is traditional and elegant decor, with decorative fluorescent chandeliers hung low, and rooms with regal cushioned chairs that surround artistically carved tables. I'm tickled at the fact that everywhere are large windows, overlooking the flourishing castle grounds.

I make my way to the expansive foyer and come out into the lawn.

"Hey, Amera."

I look back and see Roselyn walking towards me.

"Hey," I say, my defences coming up.

I remember when we'd first met in the first year of high school at Mallory. We were seat partners.

She'd come from Togo, a fair skinned African beauty with hips so wide, they could never be hidden no matter what she wore.

Time had made her grow into an even more attractive woman, her curves displayed flatteringly in her blue bikini. She'd put her brown hair in a bun, the colour like honey in the sunlight.

"The pool's the other way."

"Of course." I turn and follow her in the other direction.

We walk through overarching trees and greenery, until we come to a clearing with lounge chairs surrounding a pristine blue pool, stretching meters and meters long.

Next to us, there's a gym with glass windows, clean with modern facilities while a mini bar decked with all sorts of drinks is off to the right corner.