running

I'm coming from the garden, really just an exploration of the castle grounds because the wedding is in a few days and what I've mostly done is stay in my room.

My vision goes before me, catching Roselyn and Vince. A sense of deja vu entrances me at sight of the two and I pause. What behaviour will he exhibit to her now? Curiosity makes me run back and hide myself behind low hedges.

"What's the matter?"

He laughs. "What? You thought I'd just allow you? You're not my girlfriend."

"What are we looking at?" A third voice whispers, and I turn to find Bea behind me, her eyes twinkling with mirthful curiosity. I straighten up and step back immediately, as if that would dissociate me from what she'd just seen.

I scramble in my mind, for an excuse that can save me from the embarrassment of crouching behind bushes to watch Vince. Heat fills my skin, making me break out in a sweat and it's not from the afternoon sun.

She laughs and moves back to stand by the castle's stone walls.

"I was just..." I just wanted to see how your cousin keeps to his word, why?

"Don't be shy, Amera," she grins. "My cousin is taken with you himself."

My heart beat suddenly picks up. "What?"

"I don't like Vince. I was just... we're only friends."

She bursts out laughing. "Is that why you're playing Agatha Christie, friend?"

I blubber and the smug look in her face depends. "Vince doesn't see you as only a friend. Do you think without you he'd follow me to a lingerie store? I mean he's sweet but come on."

"So just that made you assume there's more to us since then?" I barter.

"Don't forget I've seen you both in rather intimate proximities," she teases and a bemused look makes her eyes sparkle. I realise just how much she's enjoying this. "Do you want to hear a little secret?"

Even though I'm still unbelievably embarrassed at being in this scenario, I nod.

"Ever since you walked in the ballroom that day, I've always watched for his reaction when you're around."

"And?"

Her Cheshire grin deepens. "It's all in the eyes."

Tingles shoot up my spine.

"Look, Bea. I don't know what you think you're seeing, but he's said I'm not his type."

"Before or after your little feud? I've never seen two people go from animosity to love struck so fast. But I guess all that animosity was just a cover."

Her words are filling me with unease with each second. A ringtone cuts through her speech. "Planner," she sighs.

"I'll see you around," I seize the opportunity to say and wander off, not even knowing where to but just walking.

A low exhale leaves my lips. The thought of Vince liking me terrifies me, but fortunately it's impossible. I just can't see it.

A low ache starts to thrum in my head at all these conundrums.

My feet seem to have a mind of their own when they bring me to the enclave I'd found Ross the other day.

I sit in the bench and lay on the low back. It reminds me of how I'd sat by the pool in the early days. Time sure flies. I wish I'd brought sunglasses, at least to shield my eyes.

I've been on the first chapter of the chicklit book I brought since I came.

I rediscover where I'd left off and dig in. My mind strays to Bea's words but I force myself to focus. Vince doesn't like me, or isn't taken by me, as Bea so affectiously said. More, I don't want to let myself think he does. Because I'm scared of what I'll figure out that I feel, only to find out he truly doesn't see me that way. I love her but for all things good why did she have to put these things in my head.