14: Protect

Eve

"Not yet."

His eyes darted to the painting stowed in a corner. I could feel the smile starting to form. Although none of this craziness is exactly what I was expecting to happen, I couldn't have picked a better friend.

The way his cheeks dimples as he looked at me and smiled made my stomach drop. What did we get ourselves into? I never thought that having a baby was for me, but Lucas has also told me that he has always wanted a child.

I sent a message to David, telling him I need to talk to him but after our yelling match the other day, it was a lost cause.

He berated me for getting married accidentally but it was a blessing. He didn't have to pay any alimony. He was becoming weaker by the day and more than anything in the world wants to make sure that when he does leave, I'll be okay. He was the love of my life after all. We met in high school and there was no separating us, through college and him building his business, our love never faltered.

But that quickly changed with his diagnosis. He became everything he said he'd never be. We fought more than anything else and life became a living hell. Love wasn't enough anymore. We ended it shortly after we separated and that's when he finally told me he was terminally ill. It was his way of protecting me but breaking my heart was the absolute worst possible plan.

The treatments and radiation hollowed out who he once was. There was no going back to how things were. I wish he told me; things could have been so much different.

Maybe he did protect me after all.

"So...we're having a baby." He let out a deep sigh. As logical and methodical as he was, reality of this baby wasn't setting in just yet.

"Actually, do you want to come to a wedding with me?" That was not what I was expecting for him to ask. Weddings always bring back the best and worst memories for me. Maybe it could trigger something from our own shotgun wedding.

"Mm...sure. Whose wedding is it?"

"My sister's. We don't have to tell anyone yet. Besides Todd, he kind of...already knows." My eyes widened.

"He'd have sniffed it out! He's not saying anything that's for sure. But he has been on the detective tract. He's sure he's going to figure out what happened. He plans on writing a book about our adventures."

"Good luck to him. I'm also meeting your family?" That was a big step for any relationship, but I suppose it would be coming since we've sped up the stages of one. He shook his head slightly.

"Not exactly. My parents refused to attend but most of our other family will be there, aunts, uncles and cousins. And of course my sister and fiancé's family."

"Oh...your parents aren't coming?"

"Yeah. It's a touchy subject for them. When my sister came out as lesbian my parents didn't take it well. They're very traditional, I'll need to prepare them for our news too. An outside casino chapel wedding isn't going to go down well. We're not on the greatest of terms anyways..."

"I haven't told my family either. Actually no one knows besides Todd."

Maybe it would be better if my family never knows. They're a mean bunch that's for sure and Lucas is much too nice for that. My brother and David used to be best friends but after the divorce he's been cruel to anyone I would even mention to be involved with. In fact, I am pretty sure that my family thinks that I left David when I found out he was sick.

I studied the expressions shifting over Lucas's face.

This wasn't supposed to become anything other than a mistake but as the days go by, it feels like much less of one. I stood up from the chair and walked to him. He held my hands in his, the sparks travelled from my fingertips. He pulled me down to his eyeline and our lips melted together. I missed this feeling. To have someone close, someone who cares.

I pulled away from him. My heart was beating out of my chest in excitement, but my head was telling me to stop while I was ahead.

I wanted so much more but I also knew, this wasn't love. I took a step back.

I shouldn't be falling in love him. I couldn't bear a breakup or divorce, in this case, again. Even though he says he isn't going anywhere, we both knew that things aren't set in stone.

He sensed my unease and stood up.

"Sorry, I got carried away." Before I could say anything, a knock on the door broke the mounting tension.

I excused myself and opened the front door. David stood there, from the haze in his eyes to his breathless leaning against the mailbox, his fight was gone.

"Come in. What are you doing here?"

"I got your voicemail. You said it was important and...I needed some fresh air." Lucas came down the steps and stopped when he spotted David. This was the last thing I wanted to do but I guess no better time than the present to introduce my ex to my new husband.

My gut started churning. This isn't going to end well is it?