17: Cake

Lucas

It's going to be okay, right? I eyed Eve on the passenger side, she didn't look even slightly worried. I, on the other hand, was freaking out.

We pulled into the driveway. This vineyard has been in our family for centuries and was currently ran by my aunt and uncle with my cousins. The old terracotta coloured house has been renovated over the years but still had the original carved arches that led up to the house along with the rose lined path to the door.

My nerves eased up.

We spent many summers here with our family and it's always been a place where everyone was greeted with a warm hug.

There were delivery vehicles stacked back-to-back in the road and people bringing in tables and chairs. It was going to be a big event in true Haley fashion. There was a week to go but there was still a lot to do. My uncle asked me specifically to come help too since he was building the wedding arch by hand. He has always loved woodcarving and had this big project in mind.

I saw the vibrant wave of blond peek out of the window and the curtains scattering.

I let out a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

I stepped out of the car and opened the door for Eve. She held my hand as we made our way up the path.

"This place is beautiful." She whispered.

"You should see the vineyards!" I remember as a little child running through the vineyards and playing tag with my sister.

The front door swung open. Haley stood at the door and curiously took in every inch of Eve and I. During our trip I warned Eve that Haley disapproves of everyone that I have dated and even the ones I married. It takes a lot to win her over.

"Brother!" Haley pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. She released me and glared at Eve.

"Hi... I'm Haley, Lucas's sister." Eve gave her a subtle smile.

"Hello, I'm Eve."

"Come on in. We're testing a few different cake combinations. My fiancé is running late, so we could use some more cake testers." She steered us towards the kitchen. Aunt Justine was pulling out a what looked like a lemon cake from the over and stacked it on the cooling rack. She always loved baking so of course she would be making the giant wedding cake.

"Hey honey." She gave me a hug and hugged an unsuspecting Eve with a steely grip.

"I'm Justine, Lucas's aunt. He mentioned he was bringing someone with him but seeing is believing."

"Hi, I'm Eve."

"Welcome to our home. We need your help with this tasting. Lucas, Arthur is out in the vineyard. Don't worry, we'll save you boys a piece or two when you get back." She shooed me out of the kitchen. Eve looked at me pleadingly but there was no use arguing with Justine.

Arthur, my cousin was sitting on the little dock that looked over the pond. The rows and rows of vineyards were neatly stacked and stretched out towards the mountains. The vibrant green of the fields with the paths winding around them brought a smile to my face.

I stopped beside Arthur who was surveying the land.

"Look what the cat dragged in!"

"It's been a while."

"You have to see what we've got brewing." Maybe Eve was right, I'm not going to remember this wedding either.

Eve

Aunt Justine suspiciously eyed me as soon as Lucas left.

"Lucas didn't mention anything much about you, other than that he is bringing someone along. How long have you been dating?"

"About two months. It's been going well." Haley gave me a plate with a different array of cakes. I haven't had much in terms of morning sickness, but my stomach was more sensitive than I would like. I took small bites of each. Maybe if I keep eating, I could evade the cross-examination that was ensuing.

"Mm I like the vanilla with chocolate buttercream. But the strawberry cake is quite refreshing."

Haley nodded in agreement.

"I think the vanilla cake is my favourite, but I don't know about the cream. Has Lucas told you that Olivia is coming?" 

"Yes, I am excited to meet her." Although meeting her wasn't what I bargained for, it would be a great idea to get to know each other. Haley and Justine eyed each other and started giggling.

"Olivia is...a piece of work. I will warn you; Lucas and Olivia have been hot and cold for years even before they were married. I'm pretty sure that they will get back together again sometime soon." Haley grinned like a cat with cream. Aunt Justine elbowed her in the side, and she shrugged.

"That's what they have always done."

She was trying to create a riff between myself and Lucas. Olivia broke Lucas and I guess Haley was still hopeful but there is no way that they would get back together. At least I would think not... Justine excused herself and sternly glared at Haley as she left.

"Thank you for the warning but I am pretty sure that isn't an option. She is having a baby with the man she cheated on Lucas with." I took another bite of the cakes. Haley's eyes widened.

"Oh god, he never told me about that. Just that they were divorcing because of differences. Now I feel even worse for the invitation mishap. I'm sorry I said that." I sighed.

"It's okay, you didn't know."

"I think I know which cake combination I'd like. I just have to run it past my wife to be when she gets here." I stifled a yawn.

"You guys must be tired from the drive; I'll show you the room and then you can unpack or take a nap."

An hour later I lied on the bed, running my hand over my stomach. When we get home, Lucas and I had an appointment at the doctor. I went to the first appointment alone so I was extremely excited to experience this with someone. Hearing that heartbeat is an experience of a lifetime.

Lucas entered the room as quietly as he could.

"Hey, how are you doing?" I shook my head.

"I think this wedding is bound to have some drama like you said." He lied down beside me and rested his hand on mine on my stomach. The warmth of his hand radiated through me.

"Just let me know and we can escape into the vines where no one will find us."