S1 - 4. [The Truth]

The machine spun, making a noise that he couldn't describe. Katsuki tried to maintain his calm breathing.

It was scary, unnerving, and most definitely something he didn't want to do. He just wanted his mother. He couldn't even see her, she was no where near his field of vision.

When the rotation of the machine around him ceased, a few nurses came back in to move him back to the bed he'd been wheeled in on.

As soon as he had left the room, his mother was there. "You did so good, you're so brave. They're gonna help, you'll be all better soon"

"Promise?" He asked her.

She stepped away momentarily to let others pass through the halls before she resumed walking next to him. "I promise with all of my goddamned soul"

Katsuki was in his room, he'd learnt that he'd been moved to the intense care unit, and he now watched as he mother broke down crying outside the window that separated his room from the nurse's station.

He almost didn't want to know what it was now. His mother rarely cried, so something of this scale must be bad.

He watched as she glanced over at his room before gesturing in an angered, grieving way. He could make out the mouthed words 'What can you do?' and his body froze.

If... If she was asking that then... then that meant that the doctors had no real plans. But they would soon, right?

Whatever was wrong with him had to be fixable, it had to just be something small that there was no need for a big plan for. It had to be.

It had to be.

His father arrived as they were sticking wires with patches on his chest and stomach. For 'heartbeat and breathing rate' he was told.

So far, neither of his parents had come to tell him what was wrong. No doctors, no nurses, no parents. Why weren't they telling him?

This wasn't fair.

"Katsuki?" He glanced over and was met with his father. His mother stood behind him. Neither looked happy.

His parents sat around him, his father taking the chair across the small room after his mother sat down in the seat adjacent to his bed.

"This..." Katsuki had never seen his mother so hesitant. "I don't know how to say this right. I'm so sorry, baby. You're sick. Very sick"

She shifted to hold him, pulling him so close that he could only feel her pain. He was sick?

"It's terminal cancer" His father whispered out, a tone of a shocked disbelief lacing his words. "In your brain. It's... There's no cure. I'm so sorry"

Katsuki didn't believe them. It had to be wrong. They had to have mixed up the results. They had to have.

There was no way. It wasn't fair, it had to be wrong. It was just headaches. He couldn't have anything that serious. Not after this long. No, he couldn't.

With his mother's body shaking with sobs, he could only sit there in a detached numbness.

It had to be false. Please. It didn't make sense, how could this happen? Why now? Why him?

Life wasn't fair, but he wished it was.

Terminal. That meant it was close to the end for him. That meant he had nothing to lose now. That meant that he would never be a hero.

Finally he moved from his frozen state. He gripped his mother just as tight, trying to ignore how his breath choked up. This was the last thing he wanted. The last thing he could've imagined was wrong.

He had nothing to lose now, but his parents had everything.

Katsuki could only sit there in his mother's hold as they both cried. His father had left the room and he'd glimpsed the man talking with the doctors, pleading with them to fix his son.

With nothing to lose, everything seemed so much different. He could do anything, go anywhere. Anything he wanted to do, he could do it now.

School wasn't a priority now, there was no point. He could do everything while he still could. He had to. He had to spend every last moment with his parents making happy memories. He had to.

He could and he would.

Word Count: 716