Two

Before you read through chapter two, just want to give you all a little update. I have been doing a ton of writing lately, and while I do fully intend to keep up the fast upload pace I have going, it will not include this week. I'm going on a trip out of state for my birthday with friends, and do not intend on writing while I'm away. I'll still have plenty of content to give you until then, and after.
Thank you all for your kind words on the first chapter! I'm glad you are all were excited for Jax to return!
And while some people did get close on guessing who both main characters in this story were, nobody got them both right. They were guessed individually, but never together. I've had this planned for a veeeeery long time, the original drafts of some chapters going back like two years!
Hope you like it as much as I do ❤️

Ajax

  I didn't recognize the face I saw in the mirror. It caught me off guard, actually. I had just gotten out of the shower and seemed to fall right back into my old routine, as if I'd never stopped. Turn off the water, grab the towel off the rack, dry myself off, step out, and use the towel to wipe the fogged mirror, and that's when I jumped. I could see something that resembled me, but it was more like I was looking at a relative rather than myself. My hair was longer, a couple inches past my shoulders. My face and body were thinner, my collarbone more prominent. I even had quite the beard going. I was eighteen the last time I saw myself. Now just about twenty, I looked like a stranger. Maybe I'd get a haircut and shave before leaving.
  I finished drying off, rubbing some lotion I'd found on the counter into my skin, and headed into the bedroom to get dressed. I quickly found the set of clothes Toby had brought and slipped them on. Again, I avoided the bed, knowing full well I'd pass out before even hitting the mattress. I took a deep breath before leaving the room and heading back upstairs, following the scent of something delicious being cooked.
  "Gill, when you said you were gonna make me food, I thought you were gonna make like a ham and cheese sandwich or heat up leftovers, you didn't have to do all of this!" He smiled up at me as he flipped something in a pan.
  "Oh hush, you said yourself, you haven't had a real meal in forever, and I'm happy to do it. It's almost ready actually, and I made some for everyone."
  "It smells delicious, love. What is it?" Toby asked, wrapping his arms around his mate from behind.
  "Seared salmon with a lemon butter sauce, and I have some asparagus and fingerling potatoes roasting in the oven. It should all be done in a couple of minutes if you two want to set the table?"  Toby pecked Gill on the cheek before letting go of him.
  "Plates are in that cabinet to your right, Jax if you want to grab those. I'll get the silverware and get drinks ready. What do you want? We have water, juice, soda, tea...I think that's it?" I grabbed three plates from the cabinet Toby pointed out.
  "Oh, ummm...do you have Sprite?"
  "Sure do. Love, I'm assuming you want either black iced tea with lemon or Pepsi?" Toby asked, opening the refrigerator.
  "Um, I'll actually just have ice water tonight." I set the plates down at the table. Toby brought three cups filled with various beverages before going back into the kitchen, returning with a handful of forks and dinner knives.
  "It's done! Let's eat!" Gill announced.

***
  "So, Jax. You said you were in Canada?" Gill asked, taking a bite of his asparagus.
  "Oh, uh. Yeah, mostly. I wandered a lot, but I stayed pretty much in the same hundred acres or so of unclaimed territory."
  "Oh, I bet it was beautiful out there! I can imagine the pretty landscapes." I nodded, taking a bite of my salmon. I groaned at the taste. It was phenomenal.
  "Damn this shit is heavenly, I swear to God." Gill laughed and thanked me. "Um, yeah. It was really pretty up there, especially this one spot by this stream. It's mostly surrounded by trees, but there's one specific bend of the water that is pretty clear. I would always sit right by the edge of the water and look out, waiting for the moon to rise at night. I went there almost every night so I could listen to...uh...the owls." Gill smiled.
  "It's okay, Jax. You don't have to lie." Toby gave us both confused looks.
  "Why would he lie about water and owls?" Gill sighed and set his fork down, taking Toby's hand.
  "Ever since our alpha ceremony, every night I'd link Jax. I sometimes would say I missed him and wondered where he was, or other times I'd just tell him about my day. I just wanted to feel close to him.  He never responded. Well, at least until tonight when he was standing in our back yard." Tobias smiled widely.
  "Really? I had no idea you did that. Every night?" Gill nodded.
  "Every night." I answered for him. "And, Gill...you don't know how much that meant to me. I know I hurt you all by leaving...but it was what I had to do. I couldn't...process anything that happened. I missed you all so much and there were a lot of days...most of them actually...that were extremely difficult to get through, but I knew every night, no matter how shitty of a day I had, there was always something to look forward to." Gill sniffled and wiped a tear on the back of his sleeve.
  "I was hoping it would have that effect. I couldn't even imagine what you were feeling, and as much as I wanted you to feel close, I wanted you to feel that too. You've always been there for me to give me the best advice and support, and I wanted you to know that I'd do the same for you."
  "Speaking of advice and support..." I teased him through the link, taking a sip of my drink.
  "Hey Babe, do you mind grabbing the leftover tiramisu? I figured that would be good for dessert."
  "Of course, love." Toby stood from the table and walked back into the kitchen.
  "How do I even tell him? Like what do I say?"
  "Gilly, he's going to be thrilled. I know it's sooner than you guys planned, but you know he's so excited to have a family with you. Don't beat around the bush. He'll be super excited, trust me." He took a deep breath and nodded, just as Toby returned, a small container of tiramisu in his hands.
  "Alright, there's actually just enough for each of us to have a piece!"
  "Uh, actually I don't think I'm going to have any. You two can split my piece." Gill said with a nervous smile. I gave him a reassuring wink.
  "What? Why? You loved it the other night when you made it?"
  "Yeah, it was delicious...I just don't think  I'm allowed to eat it right now."
  "So much for not beating around the bush." I joked, receiving a glare in return.
  "Not allowed? Did you start a diet or something?"
  "Um, sort of? It's just not safe. It has coffee and alcohol in it."
  "Why wouldn't that be...wait, what?" Gill blushed and smiled.
  "Surprise?" He said, more as a question than an exclamation.
  "Gill, are you pregnant?"  Gill nodded shyly.
  "I've been feeling kind of ill for a couple of days, so I went to see the pack doctor early this morning. Had I even suspected that's what it was, I would have asked you to come with me. I was just expecting him to say I had some little stomach bug and give me an antibiotic, but instead...he said we have a little one growing in there."
  "Oh my God... We're gonna be parents?" Toby's eyes welled up with happy tears as he pulled his mate to his chest.
  "I was actually kind of nervous...very nervous...to tell you. I knew you'd be happy regardless and that you'll be the best dad ever...I just know this isn't the timing we talked about, so I wasn't sure how you'd feel about the situation overall." I stood from my seat, suddenly feeling like I was intruding on their private conversation.
  "Hey, I'm super exhausted so I think I'm gonna head to bed and let you two chat. Thank you again, Gill for the food. It was delicious, and for both of you for letting me stay here. Congratulations! That kid is gonna be so lucky having you both as parents." They both smiled at me, standing up to give me a hug.
  "We should have a little party tomorrow to celebrate! Nothing huge, just like all of our parents, Drew, Holly and Levi? Tell them about our future little alpha and that you're home?" My heart ached a bit.
  "Uh, yeah! That sounds great!" I lied. I felt terribly guilty about wanting to leave.
  "Okay! I'll tell everyone to get here around one?" I nodded, not really trusting my voice to convey my false feelings accurately. "Sleep well, Jax! I'm really happy you're here." Gill said, his eyes still quite misty.
  "Goodnight guys. I'm happy I'm here too." I left them alone, returning to the basement. I crashed face first onto the bed and groaned. It was going to be a lot harder to leave than I thought.
And despite my complete and utter exhaustion, it took a very long time to fall asleep, my head racing with anxieties.