Prologue

Time was only a construct on Cornucopia, as every hour was just another relapse of the Blue Moon glistening down, almost like a Neptunic figure that watched the two men from afar. Both canines stared back idly, admiring the aqua-atmospheric figure; the fear of Lylat's beauty enwrapping around their chests as the gleaming violet sky only reminding them the reward of living. 

It was always night at the waking moment. But the moon was brighter than it was on all of Lylat.

Fox Mccloud remained to sit by the left flap of his Arwing, leaning his legs against the cold and hard metal. As the right wing was incapacitated beyond repair, the vulpine liked to think that what little of his Arwing was his wit's end. Even if he wanted to escape and live his dire circumstances, the Blue Moon gave him comfort to that thriving expectation. 

His adversary counterpart, Wolf O'Donnell, remained to stand beside Fox. Obviously giving him personal space, the lupine remained to stand by, hands slipped in his pockets- pants unkempt from traveling throughout the dusk.

After a while of staring at the luminescing planet, Wolf pulled out both hands, holding a cigarette cap with its lighter.

The air stenched of Wolf's breath, that being the puffs of Marlboro reminiscing throughout the air while the lupine relinquished himself to his bud.

"Hey." Wolf  subtly whistled towards Fox.. A moment's notice before his attention diverted to the lonesome vix during his phasing moments. The larger canine shook the cigarette box towards Mccloud as if he was trying to pertain a pet dog's attention by shaking a bag of treats.  

Fox shook his head.. Before redundantly pulling a stick off of the small, plastic-wrapped box. Holding it between his index and middle finger, he leaned towards Wolf's general direction as he lit up the end of Fox's own cigarette while fumbling his own against his lips.

Fox hated the smell. Hated the feeling. But he wasn't hesitant either. He was probably going to die before he could ever get lung cancer, anyways. 

There is no God. There was only a sense of patheticness that lingered in the atmosphere.  

"..It's funny." The lupine scoffed, looking down at the ground. 

Fox turned towards Wolf, eyebrow slightly raised. "What's funny?"

"This is exactly one of the scenes I imagine looking towards if I die. A blue.. Fuckin' moon. And in a planet that's far above the Lylat System." 

There was a silence in the air.. With Fox only breathing out a sigh of ashes and nicotine from his breath.  Wolf expressed his surprise for the vulpine's unexpected habits through his gaze. 

"Were you always a cigarette guy?" 

"No.. Of course not. I'm not you, Wolf." 

"Then why now, out of all the times?"

"Because if you were to go around telling people in Corneria that I smoked, they'd think that you're talking out of your own ass." 

The antagonist chuckled while he flicked the cigarette off of his fingers, squeezing it with his shoes to light out the fire. 

"Speaking of. This is the longest that I've ever held out on shoving my fist up your's." 

Fox remained to do the same thing too, but instead he left the cigarette on the ground, letting the small light of fire distinguish on its own. Rolling his eyes, a smile streaking his muzzle while turning his head towards the Blue Moon once more. The air seemed to be less.. Asthmatic. 

"What's stopping you now?" 

Wolf only responded with an confident, but tentative shrug. "I don't think I have a reason to." 

Fox expressed a little bit of a surprised glance while he looked back at the lupine, who seemed to have his face down towards the unstamped cigarette butt. 

"I don't want my last breath here to be a spit in your eye and a jolly-old 'go fuck yourself.'  I think I'm past that phase where your death isn't my wettest dream. Our rivalry is nothing when it comes to survival now. Live as much as we can. If we die, we die. But not because of us. If anything.. We can continue whatever the hell we've done for the past few years after we get the hell out of here."

Fox left his abdomen drop several weight from Wolf's response, his face feeling a little bit lightheaded. Getting off of the balance against the wing of his ship, he diverted his attention away from the moon, and now to his 'rival.' Unable the process the response from Wolf, he slowly approached the frayed lupine. 

"So.. You. You care about me." 

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Fox." Wolf only replied, before voiding back into silence.

The lupine was only much more lightheaded as per usual. Even if he thought Fox was soaking his words like a sponge.. the lupine only felt even more burdened from even lifting a single tread of thoughtfulness out of his lungs. 

But he only felt the emotional shackles of resentment be freed upon his mind; he only felt a release of pressure coming out of his chest. 

The result of him opening up to Fox was ever so relinquishing. It was a lot better than smoking a cigarette.

His decaying eye-patch dangling against the wind of his left eye, he eventually casted the black cover off of his face. Letting it blow in the wind, Wolf watched the initial patch of his disappear into the unknown biome of Cornucopia. He only saw it as his identity, one that represented Star Wolf. He finally let the patch gust through the air. As far as he knew himself, Wolf O'Donnell no longer had the title of the leader of Star Wolf. 

He was just Wolf. 

Fox was in awe as the lupine finally turned around. For the first time in his life, he looked at Wolf O'Donnell in a way nobody has ever saw before.  Eyes full of determination.

"I'm never gunna let anyone lay a finger on you, Fox." 

__________________________________________

Editor's Note: Hey, ThyConern here, back again. 

Yes, I deleted WIWTWY. Shame, it had 11k views and it was one of my most successful shit yet. But I just.. Don't know. didn't feel any energy, no motivation to continue it. I went through a lot of shit, currently still am. But I need to redeem myself. 

Please clap.