Cypress

Cypress was so busy with studying, training, and trying to find a way to get rid of the Dybbuk, she barely noticed it was December already.

Mira was interrupting the lesson to announce something important to the new recruits.

"As you know," she said. "Everything you learn at the training will someday come in handy in the world, when you're adults. I know most of you are already familiar with the concept of balls. It is customary for Blood Drinkers clans or families to organize at least one a year, for every special occasion. Minx and I have talked about it and we feel that it's very important for you to start practicing now. So, every 24th of December, we will hold a ball at the castle. The older students already know this, and they have already taken part in at least one. As for the rest of you, don't worry. It's all just about etiquettes and dancing with your partner."

Cypress knew more about balls than everyone else in the room combined, except maybe for Mira and Minx. She had already seen the various branches of her family spending nearly all their money to organize the best ones, and she had taken part in one, the year before, when she'd officially debuted in society. She had danced with Buttercup.

She usually tried not to think about it.

"What about the partners?" Jonathan asked. "Can we invite just about anyone? Does it have to be our soulmate?"

Mira frowned. "And who would your soulmate be?" she teased. "No, of course, if any of you was married to their soulmate, then it would be considered extremely rude to go with anybody else. But since that's not the case, you can invite any other student. Romantic attraction is not required, for obvious reasons."

Cypress had been curious about how soulmates worked for Blood Drinkers for a while now. She could not refrain herself from asking.

"What's a soulmate, exactly?"

"A pair of soulmates is the perfect pair," Mira said. "Romantically, platonically, and sexually. There is a bond between two soulmates that can't be broken. Even as warriors, the two can fight exceptionally well together — or the group, in case of polyamorous relationships. Their powers are stronger than an army, when united. Since most Blood Drinkers usually care more about fighting for the greater good, than about romantic picnics... let's just say many soulmates found out about their bond while extinguishing Creatures, rather than falling in love. It is, however, certain they're going to end up as lovers, for no other bond is stronger than theirs. Many heroes of the past, even before Blood Drinkers were born, shared this special link. It is present in all traditions of Demon-slaying, or Creature-slaying, techniques."

"Well, I don't care much for it," Jason said. "My biggest fear would be to find my suitable partner before having gotten it on with lots of girls. And I don't want to be attracted to only one person, ever."

"You're in luck," Roman couldn't help but say. "Since I believe both people have to feel the same way about each other, I don't think it's likely someone will ever feel so strongly about you."

"Actually," Aurora cleared her throat. "Those are delicate matters. It would be best not to fight about those topics."

Roman agreed.

"Even if somebody doesn't find a soulmate," Aurora added. "They can still find someone who's interested, who will still feel deep emotions for them."

Cypress briefly wondered why Roman would even care, but then she remembered that Speakers could be a Blood Drinker's soulmate, too, and the other way around. She had read it had come to be after the two had worked in teams for centuries.

She suddenly remembered how Jason had made fun of Roman for being able to marry a Blood Drinker. Not all Blood Drinkers married their soulmate, but it was, of course, the preference. So that had been what Jason had implied.