Roman

Roman thought it had been very brave of Matias to tell the rest of the team about the salamanders, even though it wasn't really a problem that concerned the Speaker. He wasn't going to take his Blood Tasks, and the sooner he accepted this difference between himself and everyone else, the better.

He was still glad that, thanks to Matias, Jonathan and Cypress had a chance to not be scorched by the fire. He would have been sorry to see it happen.

"I just don't get it," he bit his lip. He was trying not to be labeled an eternal pessimist, since, all things considered, he didn't think he was one. But, somehow, he couldn't help being a little cynical when serious conversations were concerned.

"What?" Jonathan asked him.

It was too late to hold back now, he might as well say it.

"I just... never thought Athanasios would say something helpful on purpose. We've all seen the way he treats Matias. He would be more likely to lead him on, humiliate him."

"Wrong," Matias said. "You don't know him like I do. True, he would love for me to be ridiculed, but only if his name wasn't dragged along in the mud with mine."

"He bought me," he said, unflinching. "So that I could be what he wanted. And what he wants is a mirror in which his wisdom and greatness can be reflected. He's been preparing me for this life for years. He wants me to be the best."

"Why you, and not Jason?" Roman asked. "Shouldn't he at least pay more respect to you?"

He didn't say it, but how was it possible for a master to wish success for his slave? Because those were the terms in which Athanasios thought of himself and Matias.

"Jason doesn't need to prove his own worth," Matias said. "More importantly, he doesn't have to prove Athanasios' worth as a master. As a customer of the market. He doesn't have to prove to everybody who gives Athanasios the stink eye because he paid for me, that he had been right, and I was worth every penny. But I do."

Roman was starting to feel sorry he asked, even worse that he pushed. Cypress was glaring at him.

"Do you really think people can die during the Tasks?" Jonathan asked, to switch the subject.

"Definitely," Roman commented. "It used to happen sometimes, especially in the past. It has never happened under Mira and Minx' supervision, but it can't be ruled out. Same as Blood Drinkers dying accidentally while they patrol."

Roman realized he should have been more optimistic, at least about this. Or, even better, he should start reconsidering his own opinion of his ability to see the best in every situation.

"I see all options, all the time," he excused himself. "I do not feel the need to share them all – it's already hard enough on my mind. But I do share those which I think we should take into consideration. And yes, those are the dangerous and unfortunate ones. Because there's no point in warning people about something hopeful that could possibly happen."

Jonathan laughed at his discomfort. Roman would have been offended if it had been anybody else, but he knew where Jonathan was coming from.

"I always say that he is uptight," Jonathan told the others. "Have you ever noticed?"

"I beg to differ," Roman said. "Uptight people are not cool. They don't have magical powers, and they don't own a varied collection of knives."

"Oh, but they do," Jonathan teased. "They just don't let anyone else touch their beloved knives."

Roman couldn't say anything about that.

It was easy being with Jonathan. Easier than it had ever been for Roman to be around people. Was it because he wasn't a Blood Drinker yet? Would things change, once his friend turned for good?