In a Flash

It was so sudden.

But to one Kamado Tanjiro, it felt like eternity.

He was tired, couldn't breath, his lungs felt like they were about to explode any minute now. His grip on his sword was almost loosening with sweat, grime and blood. His vision was clouded by full blown anger and hatred for the man... No, that thing was no longer a man. That thing that was the source of his anger and his only motivation to stand was never a human.

For Kibutsuji Muzan was still standing, and Lady Tamayo's sacrifice was in vain.

He could smell him. He reeked of mold and blood of all of his comrades. He smelled like rotten flesh left out in the sun, smelled like maggots that were squirming in the insides of the meat. He smelled as rotten as what he looked like. Old and dying. The poison might've gotten to him, but it wasn't enough.

Tanjiro couldn't help but send the demon a mocking feral grin.

Because he knows.

Tanjiro can smell it.

He smells an underlying and strong scent of fear.

Muzan was afraid.

He changed. Under that fleshy cocoon of his. It was like metamorphosis. His dark hair now long and silvery white, flowing freely as he stood menacingly. He no longer wore the prestigious American suit and tie, he was shirtless, exposing the monstrosity underneath. Jagged teeth growing out from the mouths on his torsos and hands, he was finally showing how much of a monster he is outside. What remains the same, were the eyes. Plum red and pupils slitted like a cat's.

Focused on the two remaining standing slayers.

When Muzan moved, Tanjiro suddenly felt a tug.

His haori was being pulled at, it reminds him of when Rokuta would sneak behind him and tug at his clothes to get his attention.

At that moment of distraction, Muzan was right in front of him.

"Tanjiro!" He hears Tomioka Giyuu shout. "Move!"

He didn't get the chance.

Instead, the eldest of the Kamado children was stumbling back.

The last thing he sees is Giyu's usually blank face filled with so much fear and panic that he feels guilty.

Because he was going to die.

'I'm sorry...'

Everything went dark.

-----

Little did they know that the others experienced the same thing as Tanjiro did.

Hashibara Inosuke stands with Kanao, injured from an 'X' slice to his bare chest, his mask unfortunately was still at the demon scum right in front of them. It didn't hide the frustrated tears flowing from his face because of that thing... That demon murdered his mother. Murdered Shinobu.

That bastard was going to pay and Inosuke is going to start that by wiping the shit eating grin off his face.

Tsuyuri Kanao was fighting fatigue, her sword positioned in front of her to save face, to hide that she was getting tired, getting desperate. Her face lacked tears (Pathetic, isn't it? She feels angry that Shinobu died but why can't she cry? Was she really that broken?) the only thing keeping her from charging blindly was, ironically, anger.

Because she was going to enjoy every slash she gives, and she's going to make it painful.

Before the unlikely duo could even take another step forward, they felt a tug and they too fell in the blankets of darkness.

Back with Upper Moon one, Shinazugawa Genya was fighting for his life, hiding within the pillars so as to not get spotted, supporting from the sidelines as best as he can.

He was shaking.

Scared out of his mind.

But the power boost he got from eating a part of that horrid demon's sword was enough to give the hashiras with him a good fighting chance.

He shot with the shotgun that was enhanced by his new demon blood art. Smiling to himself as he landed a good solid hit.

'Can you see me now, aniki? Are you proud?'

Before he could dwell on that thought, he felt a tug.

The last thing he sees is a wave that uprooted the floors, crescent moons shoots up in every direction-

He was going to die.

And he thinks that the darkness welcoming him was it.

Agatsuma Zenitsu's tugging was much calmer than the rest.

He was left to fall all by himself when he finally defeated Kaigaku. Normally, he would be afraid. After all, even if the demon's attacks weren't enough to kill him, surely the fall would. For someone who was scared to die he was... Oddly calm about it.

No screaming.

No crying.

It just felt like...

Peace.

Even with his face cracking, even as his tears already dried. Zenitsu was only guilty of one thing.

Dying before all of his friends.

And that's when the darkness came.

Back at a safe house with what was left of the Ubuyashiki children and the three former hashiras, Kamado Nezuko shoots up from laying on her futon to literally rushing out.

Her brother was in danger.

She can feel it.

She ignores the shouts and cries of Urokodaki and Uzui.

She ignores the heavy feeling in her heart.

The moment she steps in the woods, she felt a tug.

Around her, time stopped. The leaves that were falling suspended in mid air. The birds flying overhead stopped moving midway through flapping their wings.

Nothing moved.

And the young Kamado was gone.

-----

Of all of the things Aizawa Shouta had to deal with, this wasn't it.

Little did he know this was the start of many headaches.

The patrol was going to be simple.

It was a relatively quiet night. Maybe one of two muggings here and there, an attempt at trying to break into a convenience store. The usual petty crime he thankfully gets. Don't get him wrong, fighting criminals and villains gives him food on his table but he would rather have a quiet night.

It means everyone is safe.

He was about to clock out and go back got the precinct to get the paperwork he has to fill out when he spots it.

One... Two... No... Six flashes of light in the corner of his eyes.

He moves, manipulating his capture weapon as he wraps it on poles and fire escapes. Swinging around effortlessly in the urban jungle.

Landing almost effortlessly on a building with a high chain link fence.

He was greeted with six injured children.

Children.

Aizawa grabs his phone and makes a call.

"Hello? Principal Nezu, sorry for bothering you this late at night but... We have a situation and I need a medic ASAP..."