Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty-Four

Tabetha, Change by Change                              2019, Oyster Bay NY

"How did it happen? Is she awake?" I ask Jason frantically. "I've been calling them both since I got off work yesterday at five! I was supposed to meet Carrie at the train, and she never texted me back!"

"Gerri's going to be OK. She got hit hard and has a slight concussion, but they are letting her go home today. I'll take her home and stay with her." Jason reassures me.

"I'll call her office to let them know. Where is Caroline?" I ask again.

"The office already knows, I called. We were with Caroline yesterday when it happened. She left in her car with her son. I think they are alright. I did everything I could. I haven't heard from them." Jason admits.

"What do you mean 'we' were there? Why were you where?" I ask suspiciously.

"Can you meet me at Gerri's? We are leaving the hospital now. I can explain everything there." Jason suggests.

"Damn, I have to be on the set in ten minutes. I'll rush over after work. Will you still be there? Or should I just call you later and tell you how she's doing?"

"I will be there. I'm not leaving her." Jason reassures me. "I've been with her the whole time.

I imagine Gerriann being shocked to find Jason was by her bedside when she woke up in the hospital. Probably even more surprised he stuck around to see her home, but then her head probably hurt too much for her to get angry. Though I'm not sure of anything, I know that once home, her housekeeper, Sarah, will dote on her, even if Jason insists on spending the day. Which isn't a bad idea as Gerri would need someone to talk to and make jokes with in between fielding phone calls from work.

I can barely focus on work. After most of the scenes are completed, Andy approaches to ask what is wrong.

"Gerriann is home with a concussion, and Caroline is missing, or at least she is out of communication." Andy just takes one look down at the floor then calls off shooting for the rest of the day.

"No wonder your distracted. You need to be with them. I can give you a lift out to Oyster Bay, and we can get a chance to talk on the way, if you'd like." Andy offers sheepishly. I don't go cold on him, but I feel a cooling off when I give him my response.

"I don't think that is a good idea. Andy, I like you, I really do. But... we are very different people and I see now we want different things. I may change my mind in the future about what I want but right now, I'm sure this is what I must do. I promise I will show up to work on time and do my best to make the show a good one. When my contract is up in a year, we will see then if it's worth it to continue the show. It's been good for me, really, to connect and be part of the world again. But working full time in such a demanding, public job is a big jump for me, and I'm going to focus on that one thing for now." I say in as clear an alto voice as I have, which now sounds just like the voice I use on the show, the one I am becoming famous for.

"So, it's the show or me?" Andy asks cringing in a playful way.

"I didn't say that. I said I can only change my life one step at a time. I'm trying this part first. Please don't make it about anything other than that." I am kind but firm. I need to draw lines, find my boundaries.

"OK. You don't want to date your boss. I know we can remain friends and be professional, but I do care for you." Andy says as if this negotiation is not over.

"Well, I should hope you do. I don't want to think I'm so out of practice that I couldn't feel what is between us. Thanks for giving me the afternoon off." I let my hair down from its tight chignon, feel instantly transformed from my TV persona to the simple person I normally feel like.