𝘁𝘄𝗼 ━━ before you and i become 'we'

❝ c h a p t e r ━ t w o ❞

The bar pulsated with energy, a vibrant mix of college students and adults clinking glasses, indulging in snacks paired with alcohol—a common scene in Seoul. Yeo Reum and Yeon Woo were amidst the lively crowd, savoring spicy fried chicken and engaging in conversation.

With a twinkle in her eye, Yeo Reum turned to Yeon Woo, brimming with curiosity. "So guys are not into childish girls?"

Yeon Woo, maintaining his calm demeanor, casually sipped his drink, offering no immediate response.

"Yeah? Do guys prefer mature ones?" Yeo Reum pressed on, eager for insights into the male psyche.

As the door chimed, announcing a newcomer, Yeo Reum's eyes lit up—it was Ha Eun.

"Huh? Ha Eun!" Yeo Reum exclaimed.

"Yeo Reum! How are you?" Ha Eun greeted.

In that moment, a man caught Ha Eun's eye, and she caught his. Their glances met, and a hint of shock painted Ha Eun's face.

What? That guy is Yeo Reum's friend?

Yeo Reum turned her head towards Ha Eun, a beaming smile on her face as she happily introduced them.

"Yeon Woo, this is Ha Eun from my department," she said, waving towards Ha Eun. "Ha Eun, this is my high school friend Yeon Woo."

In a rather unenthusiastic manner, Ha Eun added, "Yeah... I've seen him here and there."

Yeo Reum clapped her hands together joyfully. "Oh really? You two know each other?" She turned to Yeon Woo, wide-eyed, then back to Ha Eun, who sat bored and emotionless.

Attempting to maintain the flow of conversation, Yeo Reum asked, "Yeon Woo, are you close to Ha Eun? She's one of my best friends..."

Yeon Woo cut her off with a short "Not really," leaving Ha Eun to gasp in annoyance and take a sip of her drink.

"Huh..." Yeo Reum muttered, feeling the awkward silence settle.

Breaking the tension, she suggested, "Alright, Let's toast! To celebrate we're all here." Yeo Reum raised her glass, urging them to join. "Come on, clink clink!"

Initially hesitant, Ha Eun and Yeon Woo eventually clinked their glasses, echoing, "Cheers!"

The three of them continued drinking, their chairs gradually inching closer. Yeo Reum, in her usual lively manner, protested against formality.

"Why so much formality?" she whined. "Drop the honorifics, Ha Eun."

"Should...I?" Ha Eun mumbled nervously.

"Let's toast to that then! Cheers!"

As the drinks flowed, Yeo Reum, visibly becoming more intoxicated, insisted she wasn't drunk. Even Yeon Woo expressed concern, asking, "Are you okay?"

Ignoring their words, Yeo Reum continued to drink enthusiastically. "Of course, drink up! Cheers!" she declared with delight.

As the alcohol took its toll on Yeo Reum, her flushed face turned various shades, and her words became increasingly slurred. Ha Eun, glancing at Yeon Woo, couldn't help but feel the awkwardness of the situation.

"Oh dear... Why is she drinking so much when she can't take it? Argh, so awkward..."

Yeo Reum, seemingly unfazed, turned on her phone, and the bell chimed again, signaling another arrival. A boy with disheveled hair rushed inside, clad in a blue hoodie and sweatpants. The newcomer, Kim Wook, noticed Yeo Reum on the brink of tipping over her chair and grabbed her arm.

"Hey, why are you so drunk?" he asked in surprise.

Yeo Reum's eyes widened. "Oh, it's Wook! Wook!"

Kim Wook scanned Ha Eun's face for an explanation.

Ha Eun put her glass down. "She just kept going."

"Just take her home," Ha Eun suggested.

Yeo Reum hopped off her barstool, arms raised to stretch. "I wanna go home!" she shouted, racing out the door before Wook could catch up.

"Hey! Yeo Reum! Wait up! See you later, guys!"

And so, Ha Eun and Yeon Woo were left alone, their chairs closer, both literally and metaphorically, thanks to Yeo Reum. They continued drinking in silence, eye contact made and promptly diverted.

──────────────

┏━━━━━ •◦இ•◦ ━━━━━┓

𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞. not so far yet not so close

┗━━━━━ •◦இ•◦ ━━━━━┛

──────────────

As the night progressed, Yeo Reum, feeling the effects of alcohol, picked up her phone and hesitated before texting Gun Ha.

"Gun Ha, are you asleep?" she wrote, only to delete it.

"Gun Ha, are you busy?" she tried again, erasing the message once more.

"What are you up to?" she typed, yet again deleting it and swiping out of the chat with Gun Ha.

"He wouldn't like it if I contacted him at this time..."

Opting for a different recipient, she opened her phone and messaged Kim Wook.

"Wook, I'm drunk..."

Wook, seated in his bed, opened his phone, puzzled by the unexpected message.

What?