Arlo

Arlo watched as Mrs Moore left the office to go and answer the door, quietly anticipating what was going to happen and wondering what kind of things they were going to talk about. At the same time, she wondered how long this was going to last and if it was going to be like one of those situations where something only lasted 15 minutes but it felt like 2 hours, like school usually did, or if it was going to fly by faster than she wanted. After a lot of deliberation, Arlo felt that she was excited by all of this 'new stuff', instead of just terrified. Although it started of as only fear, she came to understand that sometimes the scary stuff can be exhilarating and that what's happening now is a good thing, it's meant to happen, and no harm can come out of it, especially with Mrs Moore supervising. The only thing that would be worth fearing is the potential rejection that could follow this excitement. That part Arlo tried her hardest not to dwell on. Not only for her own sake, but also in case it affected her temperament during these sessions, resulting in inadequate answers and a total lack of enthusiasm. Who would want to adopt her if she acted defeated before she'd even tried?

The time it took Mrs Moore to come back with Miss Johansson felt like it was at least 20 minutes, even though the front door is only a few steps outside of the door to the office. If this was any indication to how this meeting would go, Arlo was not pleased about it. She desperately didn't want to be subconsciously counting down the minutes whilst trying to feign interest. She wanted this to be good, exciting and interesting. She wanted her gut to scream at her by the end of the interview, telling her that this was exactly the right thing for her. However, she knew this was unlikely, but one could only hope.

As the two women finally sat down, both facing Arlo for the time being, Arlo no longer had any of the confidence that she possessed just a minute ago. Now she didn't even know where to look. With this new inconvenience she made for a quick glance at Mrs Moore then went to focus her attention on the shoes that were now right in front of her. Mrs Moore was wearing her usual shoes, a pair of smart black leather shoes. Arlo had hardly ever seen her wearing anything different, even though they didn't look like the comfiest pair in the world. Completely contrasted with the plain shoes, Miss Johansson was wearing white sneakers that had a beige sole, textured like they were made of straw of something. Arlo doubted that they were actually made of straw, as that would make for a very uncomfortable shoe, especially if she stepped in a puddle, but she didn't know what it actually was, and honestly, it wasn't really the most important thing right now.

A clearing of the throat, coming from Arlo could only assume was Mrs Moore, quickly brought her back to the real world, however she still kept her eyes averted. Mrs Moore then started to talk, initiating the start of this meeting, getting the ball rolling. Arlo was tuned in just enough to understand that right now she needed to reply to Miss Johansson's greeting, which she did by means of a small wave, a second of eye contact and then looking at Mrs Moore for reassurance. Expectedly, the first part of the meeting carried on like this, with most of the talking done by Mrs Moore as she continued to inform them both on how this would work and so forth. Most of this wasn't new information to either Arlo or Miss Johansson, but they were both secretly grateful for this, knowing that if Mrs Moore wasn't talking, they would all probably be swallowed up by an extremely awkward silence that would be difficult for the trio to get back out of, with each of them desperate to say the right thing to make this go as well as they could manage.

"Hello Arlo, I know you know this but I'm Miss Johansson, but you are welcome to call me Scarlett-" Scarlett, red, a pretty name "-and I would love to get to know you better-" why her though? "-if you'll let me" Scarlett started.

Arlo nodded, a polite smile resting on her lips. "Ok, so tell me, what do you like to do, what are your interests?" 

Signing, Arlo stated with an enthusiastic smile that she loved to read books, play piano or any instruments really, but her favourite was piano. She was briefly confused when Mrs Moore repeated this again out loud, quickly remembering that a lot of people didn't know sign language and that it didn't take less than a day to learn.

Scarlett smiled at Arlo, "If I remember correctly, I saw you reading a book yesterday when I came to visit, what was it?"

It was Matilda. Arlo thought this was the best book she had read so far, finding the story line inspiring and admiring the girls happy ending, wondering if she might have an ending like that some day, although it would be more fitting to describe hers as the end of a chapter in her life instead of the whole book, as unlike in Matilda, she would get to find out what it was like to live out that 'ending'.

The meeting continued this way, the pair asking each other trivial questions, trying to get to know the others personality better whilst still respecting boundaries and attempting to keep each other as comfortable as possible, both scared that overstepping slightly will scare the other one off, ruining any chances of having a second meeting.