Chapter 2) Acceptance

"No." Lieutenant JJ said quickly, his expression scornful but plain. Like all officers of the law wore. "You'll never be a member of the Companions in this city."

Raika shrunk back, he couldn't believe what he'd just heard. His face went white, and his legs seemed to fall asleep. Had he really just heard that?

Ever since Raika was ten he'd dreamed of becoming a member of Kellell's Companions. He'd wanted a red-black fire dragon as his steed flying over the city looking for trouble while laughing at the sky that he could almost touch.

That dream shattered in his mind's eye the very second the Lieutenant scolded him with those harsh words. How would he continue? What would he do with himself?

Raika's eyes shot up as gravity clawed his shoulder. No, it was the Lieutenant's hand lying calmly on his arm.

"I was only kidding!" He smiled. Raika looked longingly at the officer. His partner, the centaur wore a disproving face as if he could understand their dialect.

"Kidding?" Raika asked, checking his sanity and watching them both carefully.

"That's right, I'll see you in five weeks, Foster! On May 27th! Be at the Ironworks Barracks at 4AM sharp!"

The Lieutenant promptly raised himself over the centaur and landed with a thud. The centaur didn't even flinch. He went to forward ready to race off into the horizon.

"Wait!" Raika stopped him.

The soldier stopped, his centaur spinning around gracefully. "Yes?"

"Does the centaur speak?" Raika asked, looking nervous. He should've just left it at that, but he was curious.

"Naaah, Dave is mute." Jesse replied, patting the centaur's back affectionately.

"Dave?" Raika asked.

"Yup! Dave the Centaur." Lieutenant Jesse flared, his nostrils spiking. Dave nodded.

Dave was interesting. His dark black mane overtop his skull gave him a mythical sense. But from the waist down Dave was a golden blonde stallion with powerful hooves and a strong body. Even his muscular built arms ebbed black hairs instead of blond and his stomach hairs. It was kind of unusual in the least.

Jesse must've seen his surveying eyes because he nodded back.

"Yeah, 'fraid I can't say why or how that happened... But he's still my friend. Hopefully you too will find your soulmate in an Animagi."

And with that the Lieutenant rode away, Dave throttling into the dirt with his hooves like a mobile drill.

* * *

"Sooooo?"

Tessa began across the table. They had just said blessing and their mother was scooping her food and blowing on it lightly. It was still piping hot.

When Raika had returned and the army-guy had left, Tessa had badgered him vigorously.

"When will you be quiet!" He finally yelled. Raika almost never yelled so this set Tessa off like a firework.

But now at the dinner table she was as enthusiastic as ever. And of course, raring to badger Raika again.

"Ok!" He rolled his eyes, taking a sip of the watery soup. His tongue screamed like a banshee when he realized it was still too hot.

"Mom 'ou 'eed to 'earn 'ow to heat 'hings!" Raika thundered, looking Tessa up and down waiting for her to laugh at his misfortune. But she didn't and their mom wasn't speaking either. Tessa was actually waiting for her answer.