Climbing the Ranks

After I saved Nathan's life and he repaid me by bruising my entire back, he let me join the crew. Sure, I started on the bottom, but less than a week later I was practically first mate.  Nathan didn't call me that, though. In fact, he started calling me Syreni. It means mermaid in Latin. When I asked him about it years later, he said he thought of that nickname because I was a beauty that came from the sea.

Not everyone was happy with my quick climbing of the social ladder. James and Gabe, especially weren't fans of my fast rise to power. I heard them grumbling that I had too much power over Nathan. Apparently I had somehow charmed him into thinking I was the right person to run the ship by his side.

I completely ignored the rumors and just spent time trying to better the ship. One day, I brought up starting trading routes like on the Fire Truth.

"You sure that's a good idea Syreni?"

"It made me rich on the Fire Truth."

"If you think it's a good idea."

"Uh, Captain, I don't think that's a good idea," Gabe spoke up.

"Gabe, I didn't ask for your opinion. We're doing what Syreni said."

"You never listen to what James or I have to say anymore. You just cling to (Y/n)'s every word!" Gabe yelled as he slammed his hands on the table. "Ever since you saved her, she's the only one you listen to!"

"It was your idea to save her!" Nathan yelled back.

"Wait. Your crew wanted you to save me? Why?"

"They always thought you were quite the looker. Probably still do," Nathan drawled.

"That wasn't the only reason, Captain, and you know it! You wanted her all for yourself, too!" James yelled.

The lazy smirk crumbled off Nathan's face as James spoke.

"Yeah, admit it, Captain," Gabe snarled. "The only reason you saved (Y/n) was just so you could take her and force her to work for us."

"I didn't know Preston actually tried to kill her. Preston was her loyal first mate."

"Excuse me!" I yelled, sick if them apparently forgetting I was still in the room with them. "'Her' is right here. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about me like I'm not here in the same room!" The three men quieted down. I may not be a captain anymore, but I still can still yell at others in an authoritative voice. "Are we done here?"

Nathan gave a nod of his head. I huffed, stood up sending my chair sliding across the floor, and marched down to my room. I flipped onto my bed and immediately winced in pain. I sat up and crossed my small cabin space to my mirror. I lifted my shirt up and struggled to look at my back. My back was changing from blue and purple to yellow and green. It honestly looked sickly. I heard footsteps coming toward my door and I just had time to yank my shirt down before my door was thrown open.

"Gabe? What are you doing here?" I asked the red-faced man in my doorway.

He didn't respond before crashing his lips onto mine. I froze, not expecting any sort of romantic advancement from anyone on this boat. He bit my lip, but I kept my mouth tightly closed. I heard him growl as he continued to assault my lip with bites. I finally shoved him off of me.

"What the hell?!" I shouted.

"Oh come on, (Y/n). You know you feel it too. We belong together." He pulled me close to him, but I fought and eventually made a mad dash for the deck. Everyone jumped when I slammed open the door that lead to the deck. I sprinted to Nathan's cabin and slammed the door shut. Nathan stared up at me like he wasn't shocked to see me.

"Where's the fire, (L/n)?" I gasped for breath as I leaned against the door. When I didn't respond, he got up from his desk and walked over to me. "What's wrong?"

Tears started sliding down my cheeks, leaving salty trails in their wake. "S-someone k-kissed me."

Nathan's gaze instantly hardened when the words left my mouth. He grabbed my chin. I tried to turn my head away because it was making me super uncomfortable. Still, I couldn't get out of his grip. When he ran a thumb over my lips, I flinched back, rather taking my chances with Gabe.

"Your lips are swollen." He paused as his thumb traced over my puffy lips yet again. "Who kissed you?"

"I, I don't wanna tell you."

"And why not?" his haughty attitude returning as he asked that question.

"I don't want you to act rashly."

"And why would I ever so that? Come on now, who was it?"

"You won't like the answer."

It was a week or so after Gabe forced a kiss on me. I told Nathan and Nathan's first reaction was to kill everyone in sight. I convinced him not to, and to act like nothing was wrong. It took a lot of convincing, but Nathan finally agreed to not say anything to Gabe or anyone else on the crew. I also convinced Nathan to open trading routes with the places I did. They believed that Preston was rightly running the pirate ship because of my untimely demise. I convinced Nathan to sail to the nearest town where I knew my trade partners were located.

We sailed up to the port, Jordan and James jumping onto the dock to secure the ship. When the gangplank was lowered, I lead the way to my main trade partner's house. I knew Preston was here as well because docked at the other end of the pier bobbed the Fire Truth. When we got to the building, I jimmied the lock and made my way into their study. I sat in their swivel chair and spun around so I couldn't be seen. I told the guys who came with us to hide in various areas of the room. When I heard talking, I tensed in excitement. Justice was being served.

"I told you," I heard my treacherous ex-first mate say as he and the trade partner walked closer to us. "Captain (Y/n) died during a storm when she fell in the ocean. We couldn't save her in time. She held onto the railing of the ship and told me that I should run the ship in her memory. She also wanted me to keep the trade routes open with you and everyone else on the coast. It was her last wish." They were in the room with us now. Nathan flicked the light switch by where he was standing and I smirked because I knew now was my chance.

"Is that what happened now, Preston?" I asked as I spun around in the chair. "Because how I remember it was you leaving me for dead in the middle of the ocean."