First Meeting- chapter 1

As the sun set over Yokohama, a criminal waited across the street from a building. The wind gently lifted her hair as she laid in wait. She smiled into the breeze and took a deep breath. She looked up at the building she was targeting, a bank.

Her eyes focused on her target. She spotted the night guard on his way in for his shift and removed just one of her gloves. She swiftly moved behind him and grabbed his arm with her un-gloved hand. As soon their skin made contact, her eyes began to glow. Her ability allowed her to possess the body of anyone she touched and access their thoughts, memories, and feelings. She had always used this to her advantage in her crimes. On this night in particular she was fairly proud of her own diligence. This time, she had done her research, or so she had thought.

She sat on top of another building with the money she had just taken. She looked down at the now un-moving guard whose body she had taken on the ground splattered on the sidewalk.

She sighed. "Sorry guy, but that's how it has to be sometimes." She did truly feel sorry whenever she had to kill. It wasn't her favorite thing.

"So I suppose you're the reason that I'm here and not relaxing at home with a nice wine?" An irritated voice disturbed her thoughts.

She jumped back away from the edge of the building and whipped her head around. Her eyes scanned the roof of the building, but it was empty. Relaxing slightly, she tilted her head in confusion.

"Up here," the voice called to her again. She lifted her gaze to see a man floating about ten feet above the roof she was standing on. He promptly came crashing down to the roof, causing a dent in the cement . "Well better get this over with."

Her eyes explored the man in front of her. He was fairly short, with orange hair and blue eyes; he wore a strange hat, a buckled choker, and a coat around his shoulders that he hadn't bothered to put his arms through. Her face flushed slightly.

'He's pretty...' Staring at him, her thoughts wandered to school-girlish fantasies.

He began walking toward her with enough confidence to put any petty criminal on edge, though. This snapped her mind back to her situation.

"Who the hell are you?" She asked, not breaking eye contact.

"I'm the executive whose night was disturbed by the rumor that a dumb thief was trying to steal from the Port Mafia's main bank." The man scoffed at her.

"Port Mafia?" She repeated back to him, not yet processing his words fully. Her eyebrows raised and jaw dropped as she realized her mistake. "Oh god" She cowered back, accepting defeat, like a mouse in a trap.

He kept walking toward her, unamused. "You're telling me you didn't even notice?"

"Look y-you can have it all back. I really didn't know. I- I'm new in town and clearly now I know better so it won't happen again. How am I supposed to know what banks the mafia owns in a place I've never even been to before this week, and besides those guards had no idea about any mafia involvement." She said. Her panicked ramblings did seem to catch his attention though, mainly the last part.

He stopped a few feet away from her. He furrowed his brow and narrowed his eyes as he watched her for a moment. "What do you mean the guards didn't know of any mafia? You telling me that you questioned them or something?" His voice was low and sharp.

The girl took a deep breath, knowing better than to lie in her situation. "No, it's part of my ability. I can access the memories of any person I touch."

"Hm, that might be useful actually." He stopped to think. He picked up his phone, typed something, and put it back in his pocket. "Guess it's your lucky day." He turned back to her.

"What? What are you-" Her sentence was cut off by an attempt to kick her in the head. She had no time to dodge and it was too powerful to stop. An accidental reflex took over her as she braced, and as soon as his leg made contact with her head she took possession of his body.

Her own body disappeared when she took possession of another, almost like a ghost; this was the only way she could think to save herself. As she realized that she had stolen the body of one of the Port Mafia's leaders, the mistake she had just made was made painfully clear.

She looked down at the body she occupied.

'Oh fuck' She thought in his head. 'Oh he's gonna kill me'. At the prompt of her thought, a flood of his memories came rushing into her mind.

The memories started with darkness, and a hand pulling her to consciousness. 'Arahabaki' voices called around her. 'Vessel of chaos' and a strange feeling of emptiness were all she could distinguish. The memories morphed around her to that of a strange man covered in bandages and an all consuming rage, felt upon remembering his name, 'Dazai...?' His mind changed around her again, this time to a dark room. A man sat in a chair at the end of a long table. 'Mori, leader of the Port Mafia.' He was giving instructions to find and kill whoever was planning on stealing from them. She shuddered. His mind moved to the roof they still stood on. 'She's really pretty. Too bad she was dumb enough to try to steal from us.' His mind changed one last time to when he realized her ability. 'I'll knock her out and take her back to the boss. He can decide from there...'

It had all happened very quickly, but she released him when she realized he intended to take her back to Mori to recruit her. She stepped back and watched him as he stood still, regaining himself for a moment.

"Look, I'll go with you to your boss. I'm really not trying to die today. No fights, no questions. Just tell me what to do." She spoke with honest intentions, her hands raised in defeat and lowered her head.

"What the hell did you just do?" He asked, looking down at his gloved hands. "Nevermind, so long as you understand your situation I guess it doesn't really matter." He scoffed and turned away, gesturing for her to follow.

"I'm y/n, by the way. It's nice to meet you." She smiled at him.

"Chuuya Nakahara." He replied. "Now, let's go."