Martial Arts Lesson- chapter 3

Y/n woke up to the sound of her final alarm going off, warning her that dawn was only a few minutes away. She leapt out of bed in a frenzy to put on different clothes. She gathered herself in her new outfit and ran to the buildings' roof, as fast as her legs would allow so early in the morning.

The rising sun illuminated Chuuya's figure as he stood waiting with his back towards her. She took a moment to appreciate the sight. His orange hair sparkled with flecks of the golden light. The sky surrounding his figure seemed to shine so much brighter than the cold night sky that looked like it was fading, solely because of his presence. He turned to look at her with his usual intense, azure gaze. The vibrant portrait in front of her left her blushing, eyes wide, and mouth slightly agape in wonder.

"Good, you're not late. Let's get started." He eyed her suspiciously as she stared at him.

She shook her head to help her back to her senses at his words. She nodded as he began to give her instructions of some basic defensive moves.

'This isn't the time for distractions. I'm with the mafia now, like it or not. I need to be able to fight.'

It took a few hours, but once she had a good grasp on the basics, he took a few steps back.

"Try to hit me." He commanded.

She took a second to collect herself .She took a breath and aimed a jab at his face. He dodged her with little effort and caught her arm that wasn't pulled back in time. He yanked her forward hard enough to stumble to her knees. He placed his foot on her back and stomped her into the ground, just hard enough to have her down without hurting her too bad.

"Ow! What was that for? I did exactly what you've been showing me." She got up off the ground and dusted herself off. She sent a fiery glare in Chuuya's direction as she did so.

"Being slow to assess your position means death on the field. You need to pull back faster after missing a jab or you leave yourself completely open."

Her face relaxed as she let out a groan. "Well we've been doing this since sunrise, and I've had less than five hours of sleep. Can't we at least take a break?"

"No, we can't. I have to report to the boss at noon, which is in forty-five minutes. You'll probably have to come with me tonight on my job, so you'll need to be ready for anything. I won't be babysitting you, so if you can't keep up, you'll be killed on the spot. "

She huffed but didn't ask again. The arrogant man's attitude got on her nerves, but she wasn't about to pick a fight with the mafia's most dangerous martial artist. As long as she got a break soon, she didn't mind a few more rounds of sparring.

She lost every single time, as expected, but Chuuya actually gave a lot of useful advice, even if his prideful mannerisms made him impossible to actually talk to.

She looked up at her mentor in exhaustion, "Now we're done, right?"

"Yeah," his gaze seemed to soften a bit, as he watched her collapse in relief.

Chuuya advised her to get some more rest and told her he'd let her know once he learned more details of the job she was to help with. He left after that, leaving her alone on the roof in the bright heat of the sun.

She let out an exasperated sigh as soon as he was gone. The picture of him standing in the sunrise that morning hadn't left her mind. Many times during their lesson, she found her thoughts wandering back to that scene. His harsh personality had to snap her out of her fantasies each time.

'I wonder if he's always like this, or if he just has some kind of problem with me.'

Her mind wandered back to his memories. She still hadn't been able to make sense of any of it. He seemed to doubt his own humanity, but he still had very human emotions, like his anger at whoever Dazai is, his respect for Mori, and his attraction to her. Those were all very human feelings, but the whole 'Arahabaki' and 'vessel of chaos' parts were pretty confusing. It felt like he himself had been pretty confused about that part too.

She checked the time; it was just barely noon. She returned to her apartment and decided to heed Chuuya's advice to get some rest before she was called in to do their job.

'Can't work with no sleep.'