21: Big Fires Cast Deep Shadows

We've been out here for a while. I've been trying to come up with things to say; something to lift this terrible hollow I'm beginning to feel inside.

But, there's nothing.

And Zuko seems to lost in thought to be of much help. I think he's completely forgotten I'm even here.

His life must have been hard after I left. I didn't talk to him much when I saw him, but he was a lot happier then.

And he didn't have that scar.

I heard about the Agni Kai from a maid back at the palace. How awful must you be to intentionally scar your child? On their face, no less. Over their EYE.

I haven't met the Fire Lord in person, but if I ever do... well, I don't know what I'd do.

I'd like to hit him straight in his face, though.

"I thought I'd find you here." Azula says. Interrupting our stale silence. 

"Those summers we spent here seem so long ago." Zuko says. "So much has changed." He finally puts down the clay imprint he had been staring at longingly for quite some time.

"Come down to the beach with me." Azula says, turning away, "Come on. This place is depressing."

She's got that right. This house has a blanket of melancholy and molded over joy draped around it. The kind of sadness that makes you contemplate better days. The kind that makes you doubt you'll ever feel that way again.

We follow her all the way down to the beach, where Mai and Ty wait for us.

Mai tries talking to Zuko, but he doesn't seem to be over her conversing with another guy.

"Are you cold?" he asks her. Sitting beside her on a flat rock.

Awe. There's my Zu-

Ah. You really went to put your hand around her? Without even an apology?

Yikes.

"I'm freezing." Ty says.

Zuko offers to make a fire. "There's plenty of stuff to burn in there."

◇◇◇◇◇

"What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"But... it's a painting of your family."

"You think I care?"

"I think you do."

"You don't know me, so why don't you just mind your own business?" 

This back and forth between Ty and Zu was unexpected. But then again... Ty has never really been one to not speak her mind.

"I do know you."

"No, you don't. You're stuck in your little Ty Lee World where everything's great all the time."

"Zuko, leave her alone." Mai says. Honestly, he's coming at her for no reason.

"I'm so pretty, look at me. I can walk on my hands, wooo!"  He says instead. Speaking in an unnatural higher pitch and doing a handstand, before letting himself fall onto his back. "Circus Freak."

"Zuko!" I stand abruptly. Did he really just say that?

Azula laughs.

"Yes, I'm a Circus Freak. Go ahead and laugh all you want." She gestures to Azula. "You wanna know why I joined the circus?"

"Ty..."

"Do you have any idea what my home life was like growing up with six sisters who look exactly like me? It was like I didn't even have my own name!" Ty continues. Standing with her growing aggravation. "I joined the circus because I was scared of spending the rest of my life as part of a matched set."