13: Azula's Gift Pt. 2

I gave the crowd my most dazzling smile and waved like I used to.

The crowd's a lot larger than I expected. Pretty sure they're more than just Nobles here.

Regardless of the nerves that have made a grand appearance after not answering my letters for a few years, I grin and stage walk over to the ladder. I make it to the top before the nerves bring friends.

There's no net.

There's no net.

There is, NO net.

"Watch and be AMAZED as she attempts the tightrope with NO safety net!" the announcer says very animatedly.

As I do what?

I look over at the section very obviously made for the Royals. I spot Azula first. She sits with her legs crossed and a smirk on her face. What's she playing at? Is this a set up? For what? My DEATH!?

My eyes quickly make it over to Zuko, passing over the Fire Lord who looks bored. Zuko doesn't nearly look as comfortable as his sister. His gold eyes are wide and he looks like he's beginning to panic.

Alright Azeala, that only made you feel worse.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I can do this. I'm going to be just fine.

I plaster a look of confidence and grab a ball that sits just to my side.

You can do this.

Stepping onto the rope was easy. Until my foot slipped.

A collective gasp from the crowd. I joined them in their momentary panic, but swiftly recovered and brought my dropped foot behind my stable leg. Posing with the ball still in hand.

You can do this.

Then, I throw the ball in a soft arch.

Here we go.

Cartwheel, back-walkover, left leg arabesque. The ball landed in my right foot. It was perfect... until it decided to start rolling down my leg. I caught it before it could get too far by bending my knee and entrapping it between my thigh and calf.

The line shakes and I start to sweat. I can barely hear the crowd cheering over my racing heart.

That was close. I couldn't help a glance at the hard, unforgiving ground beneath me. Too close.

I've only needed the net twice before. Both during rehearsal; never during a show.

No big deal. I've got this.

Even if I haven't had any time to rehearse.

I bring myself back to a standing position and grab the ball. Doing a back aerial and landing on the other platform.

I put the ball down and grab a bo staff for my next bit. Turning up the difficulty. And the heat apparently.

"And for extra flare, may I introduce, The Dragon Dance Troupe!" The announcer says.

Uh... huh... I had no idea there was another act. Guess I'll have to cut something out for time. But what to cut?

The revision of my performance gets interrupted when I realize how hot it's starting to get. Like... wow. I'm not freaking out enough to be this flushed, am I?

Zoning back into the situation, I realize why it's so hot.

Fire. The ground... is now on fire.

Why... why is this happening to me?

I'm sure the person announcing my death sentence mentions something about kids not trying this at home and me being a professional and hoping I'm fire resistant, but I've kind of tuned them out as it has become INCREASINGLY difficult to keep calm.

She's trying to kill me. I am SO convinced Azula is trying to kill me.

But why?

I haven't done anything BAD.

That I know of anyway.

I glance at the Royals box only to see Azula looking more excited than before. Even the Fire Lord looks interested. Zuko looks like he's going to puke.

Oh come on Azeala, stop looking at them.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Slowly letting it out.

Let's do this.

------------

I. Did it.

I'M ALIVE!

I didn't let myself drop until I made it behind the curtain. As soon as the fabrics touched, and I was hidden from the world, I sat on the ground with a huff.

What was that?

I made it through the show with the help of nothing short a miracle.

I cover my eyes with my hands.

I'm actually surprised I even survived this long.

"Azeala!"

Uncovering my eyes, I find Zuko running towards me.

"Oh hi, Zuk-" The crushing hug he gives me halts my sentence in my throat.

"Are you alright? Did you get hurt?" He releases me, but keeps him hands on my shoulders. Examining me.

I laugh lightly. "I'm good at what I do, Zuko. I'm a professional. We don't get hurt." Physically. "And even if I was injured, I think you would have broke more bones with that surprise attack then I would have." I laugh again.

He ceases all movement for a moment. Then he let's go of me completely, stands up, and takes a few steps back.

"Uh..."

"Did you enjoy the show? Could you tell I was nervous?" Please say no.

"Well yah." Way to ruin my smallest hint of good energy, Zu.

"But you were amazing." I think he mumbles something about 'always' and something 'not', but it's so far in his throat I can't make it out.  

"Well, glad you enjoyed it." I stand up. Dusting myself off and reaching high in a stretch. " All that was worth it as long as I can-" I take 1 step. Bad idea. 

The world swirls into a decent of sweet, sweet unconsciousness. 

SO.

My brother's all good now  & I'm on the hunt for a job.

In writing related news: I know WHERE I want to go with this story... just having a bit of trouble getting there. I  hope you'll be patient with me &, as always, encouragement is welcome. 

If you have any notes for the stories or any suggestions about what should happen, please feel free to leave them in the comments (not saying I'll USE any of them, but I will give you credit if I do [this, of course, excludes coincidences])

Hope you enjoyed & will tune in for the next  update.

<3