v

chapter five
WANTS AND NEEDS

AS EXPECTED, LADY WHISTLEDOWN TARNISHED FLOSSY'S REPUTATION

AS EXPECTED, LADY WHISTLEDOWN TARNISHED FLOSSY'S REPUTATION. The anonymous scribbler threw several unbecoming terms aimed at Flossy around in her most recent scandal sheet. Each term was worse than the last and drove the stake further into Elizabeth's heart. Ill-bred. Heinous. Monstrous mutt. Feral. Yet, there was no truth to Lady Whistledown's description of Flossy. The spaniel only did what she thought best — protecting her family. There was nothing ill-bred, heinous, monstrous or feral about it.

"Why must we attend the opera?" Beatrice complained, plopping down in the seat between Elizabeth and their mother, Helena. She sighed rather dramatically. "Freddie and I planned to trick Ophelia tonight, yet I am here."

Unfortunately for Ophelia, ever since she was young, she had become the butt of all Beatrice's and, at times, Frederica's mischief. Although Elizabeth doubted Frederica had much influence or say in the tricks. For, the youngest Beaumont was more often than not dragged along as a second in command. The tricks were good-spirited in nature, hardly ever causing bad blood to boil between the sisters, only mere irritation.

Elizabeth sat down and brushed out the rumpled fabric in her skirt. In the candlelight, the pale pink fabric was painted with an orange hue, appearing more peach in colour. Furrowing her brows, she asked, "What must Ophelia endure now?"

"She is consumed by a new novel. Do you recall how she hardly noticed we existed this morning at breakfast?" Elizabeth nodded softly. At the response, Beatrice continued, "Should it go missing a few chapters before she finishes, the girl would be in terrible despair."

"Beatrice, that is cruel." Elizabeth frowned.

Shaking her head, Beatrice smiled broadly. "Once I am married, she will be free. In fact, I believe she will miss our bonding moments." Beatrice eyed the crowd and sighed again. "I doubt I will find a husband here. I believe it is in my best interest to find a husband who has similar opinions in regards to the opera."

"I wish the man you fall in love with enjoys the opera as much as I." Elizabeth smiled, cheeky. The comment earned a pointed look from Beatrice. "For if you love him, as much as I hope you will, his opinions regarding the opera should hold little impact."

"Take that back!" Beatrice exclaimed, a tad bit too loud. At the outburst, a few wandering eyes fell on the Beaumont sisters. A nervous laugh fell from Beatrice's lips and she muttered a faint "oh."

Helena snapped her attention towards the two girls, her eyes threatening and her nostrils flared in irritation. "Elizabeth. Beatrice. The performance shall soon begin. Silence, please."

Biting her tongue, Elizabeth refrained from responding bitterly. The opera house continued to be cloaked in loud voices as ladies and gentlemen entertained conversation.