vi

chapter six
MARBLES

FOR A FAMILY AS POISED AND PROPER AS THE BRIDGERTONS, their house was no stranger to chaos

FOR A FAMILY AS POISED AND PROPER AS THE BRIDGERTONS, their house was no stranger to chaos. While the beauty within remained peaceful and stagnant, it was those who lived within the four walls that brought disorder into such a place of harmony. Elizabeth had only set foot into the Bridgerton house a handful of times, the last time being when the Bridgertons hosted dinner to celebrate Anthony and Elizabeth's engagement last season. Before then, Elizabeth was invited over for tea by the matron herself, regarding the betrothal, and the times before were when the Bridgertons hosted social events.

The second Elizabeth set foot in the house painted in wisteria, shouts and brisk steps were heard echoing throughout the halls. Hyacinth came bustling down the stairs with Gregory quick on her tail. She yelled taunts at her older brother, claiming he was not fast enough to catch her. In retaliation, Gregory would shout back, denying her claims.

The frilly pink skirt of Hyacinth's dress billowed as she ran and her tight brown curls bounced around her shoulders. A mischievous look was etched on her face, whereas Gregory wore a rather determined one. Hyacinth sprinted through the grand hall, nearly taking down a maid holding a tea tray. Elizabeth gasped at the unfortunate sight, but fortunately, the maid regained her balance, preventing an accident.

Upon seeing Elizabeth standing beneath the threshold, Hyacinth came to a stop a few feet from the tip of the young woman's toes. She exclaimed, "Elizabeth! Will you play marbles with us?"

Gregory skidded to a stop as well, bumping into his sister's shoulder as he did so. Hyacinth was not prepared for the force behind the collision, resulting in the young girl losing her balance.

"Gregory!" Hyacinth cried out, stumbling forward.

Elizabeth swiftly reached forward and caught Hyacinth by the shoulders, steadying the young girl from falling.

"My apologies, dear sister," Gregory said. An impish smirk danced on his soft boyish features. "Are you well?"

Hyacinth turned to face her brother, her curls whipping around her neck at the abruptness of the action. She looked at him with a pinched expression. "That was on purpose!"

He shook his head. "Was not."

"Was too!"

"I am older!"

"And, I am wiser!"

"I—"

"Hyacinth, are you well?" Elizabeth asked, interrupting their bickering. Hyacinth nodded and opened her mouth to speak, yet Elizabeth continued before the words could leave the young girl's tongue. "Gregory, was it an accident?"

He nodded.

"Very well, do you apologize sincerely?"

The tips of his ears burned red. "I am sorry."