vii

chapter seven
THE DISAPPEARING MAN

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, ELIZABETH FOUND HERSELF PROMENADING IN HYDE PARK WITH BEATRICE AND FREDERICA

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, ELIZABETH FOUND HERSELF PROMENADING IN HYDE PARK WITH BEATRICE AND FREDERICA. She held Flossy's lead who trotted a few feet ahead of the sisters. The spaniel stuck her nose in the grass and flowers every so often, sniffing the sea of foreign scents. The trees stood tall, lush, and still from the lack of wind (a blessing for Elizabeth's allergies.) Bright beams of sunlight dodged the sparse clouds, caressing their skin with warmth and painting all those beneath its reign with gold. The beige bonnet tied beneath Elizabeth's chin shielded her eyes from the brightness and cast shadows against her face, protecting her from the sun.

As usual, Hyde Park was rather busy that morning with chatter and laughter. Ladies and gentlemen bustled about the park, some on horseback and others in small groups.

"Is that not the heinous mutt Lady Whistledown wrote of?" An unfamiliar woman whispered upon passing the Beaumont sisters, eliciting a callous laugh from the woman she was walking alongside. A sneer plagued her face, complimenting the gaudy green frock she wore nicely. "Oh, it ought to be!"

The other woman jeered, "I thought it was a rat at first sight!"

Flossy was unbothered by their mocking comments. The black and white spaniel happily followed after an orange butterfly fluttering just above her nose.

Frederica huffed loudly, a frown weighing on her lips.

Glaring at the women, Elizabeth's grasp tightened on the lead. Lowly, she advised through gritted teeth, "Do not listen to them. The ton wishes to believe what Lady Whistledown writes, even when there is no merit to such scribbles."

"Flossy is a doll, an angel, really!" Frederica grumbled, picking at the sleeve of her dress. "Why must her reputation be ruined? She was only protecting our dearest Bea from that despicable and very, very handsome man." As she spoke about the man, her words softened. A wondrous sigh toppled from her lips. "Very handsome. Do you think Mr. Worthington speaks french? I fancy myself a French man."

Flossy came to an abrupt halt and turned around. Staring at Frederica with the cutest, yet menacing brown eyes, she growled.

The spaniel's actions eased Elizabeth, bringing a small grin to her face. Flossy was wise beyond her years.

"Frederica!" Beatrice cried out in disbelief and lightly hit her sister's bicep, causing Frederica to yelp in response. "Mr. Worthington is distasteful; he should not be fancied."

The youngest Beaumont sister pouted. "I know. I know. How can such a beautiful man be so unbecoming? It is not fair!"

"Men like him – rakes, so they are called – are merely meant to be admired, not entertained," Elizabeth claimed and stifled an innocent giggle from trickling from her throat. "It would be a crime to ignore his striking beauty, yet I would not dare touch a man such as himself with a ten-foot pole."