Chapter 3

Mike called Wilder first thing in the morning when he knew training would be finished.

"Mike," Wilder said. "Is everything okay?"

"I need a favor, Warrior," he said.

"Go on and ask, and I'll see."

"I think I need to talk to someone," he admitted, feeling like a wreck. "Is Alpha available today? I don't have any gas, so maybe over the phone, but-"

"Relax," Wilder commanded. "We'll just come over."

"Marilyn is here, so if Luna would ever consider.. I know with me, it's-"

"You really need to stop thinking so much," Wilder said and Mike could see him rolling his eyes. "Give us an hour." The phone clicked, and Mike glanced around his apartment. He really needed to clean.

That's how Marilyn found him when she woke up from the best sleep of her life.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

He glanced at the broom in his hand, and back at her a little confused. "Sweeping?"

"Why?" She pulled her long hair over her shoulder and he followed the movement.

"Because this place was dirty, and Alpha is coming over. I really need to talk to him. I hope that's okay."

"It's your place, not mine," she said, going over to the couch. "Besides, I've met Alpha and Luna several times."

"Oh," he said, continuing his task. "I don't have any food, but as soon as they leave we can go and get something to eat." He didn't know how he was going to manage that, but he couldn't leave his mate hungry. He was not cut out for being a mate anyway. He didn't have it together. He couldn't even take care of himself.

Alpha Christian came with Wilder, Lex and Luna Winnie. Mike had seen Lex around a few times, but never officially met him.

"Mike," Christian greeted, his furrowed brows shadowing his otherwise bright features. He was always so intuitive.

"Hello," he said, allowing them inside. Marilyn stood from the couch, looking very tense.

"We made you breakfast," Lex said, gesturing to the dish in his hands. He set it on the kitchen countertop.

"That was very thoughtful," he mumbled, stomach already rumbling at the smell. "Thank you."

"Come on," Christian said. "Let's take a walk. Marilyn will be fine with Winnie."

Mike followed Christian out of the complex and out into the cold morning air. Christian slowed his pace so they could be side by side.

"Are you okay?" Christian asked.

"No," he admitted. "I knew Marilyn was my mate as soon as she arrived to my dad's facility. I knew that he would take her away, so I just sat and watched, and she resents me for it, rightfully so-" A sob cut off his ramble, and he dropped onto a damp, cold bench.

"I don't even know how to fix this. I can't take care of myself. I don't have a job or any money. No one wants to hire me because I am a monster-"

"Slow down," Christian said. "Did someone actually say that?"

"Well, no, but I know that's what they're thinking," he sighed.

"Mike," Christian smiled slightly, shaking his head. "You're overthinking all of this, and working yourself up for no reason. If this pack did not want you out of prison, you would not be out of prison. Anybody would be happy to hire you."

Christian stood, glancing around at the storefronts around him. A lot of them were just opening, and he spotted one in particular.

"Come along," he told Mike, guiding them across the street to a hardware store.

"Danny," Christian greeted the old man working the front counter. "How are you, sir? How is your wife?"

"Alpha," Danny grinned. He seemed bright and happy. Mike relaxed a bit. "We are doing really well. She's been in remission for quite awhile. I'm about ready to retire and shut everything down here. Life is too short, you know?"

Christian smiled, "I'm really happy to hear she is doing better. I knew you had been looking for a worker for a while. That's why I brought Mike along."

"Mike," Danny repeated, holding his hand out for a shake. "I know you. You're the insider that helped them take down that whole operation. God awful, wasn't it?"

Christian nodded, "Mike is the ringer leader's son."

Mike tensed, preparing for the change in emotion he had been expecting all along, but it never came.

"You poor thing," Danny features dropped into something solemn. "I do need some help around here, if you're willing to prove that you can work."

"Yes, sir, I'd be happy to," Mike said eagerly. "I live just down the street, so I could be here really fast, too."

Danny nodded, "Good. We'll get you started tomorrow, and if you work out, I'll let you stay in the apartment upstairs for a discount. I know the place you are talking about, and it's nothing short of nasty."

"Thank you so much," Mike said, shaking his hand. His heart thudded happily in his chest, and he released a shaky breath when he and Christian got back out onto the street. "Thank you, Alpha."

"You're welcome, Mike. Never doubt your abilities. You are who you are because of where you came from, and that is something you cannot change. You are going to have to live with that, and sometimes people are going to be upset with you because of it. You are strong enough to deal with it."

"I'm not," he admitted.

"You are," Christian pushed. "As for Marilyn, I'm certain she will come around. You just need to prove to her that you care about her, and that you want what's best for her, even if that means letting her go."