Chapter 4

Marilyn sat across from Luna Winnie who was tucked protectively into Lex. Warrior Wilder had left to go someplace, maybe with Christian but she couldn't be sure.

"How are you?" Winnie asked softly. She was always so quiet, gentle and dainty. "It's good to see that you are out of the group home."

Marilyn sighed. If there was any person she could open up to, it was her Luna.

"I didn't want to be there anymore. I felt trapped, but I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get onto my feet."

Winnie nodded, listening intently. "I didn't know Mike was your mate."

Marilyn sighed, "I don't know what he is yet."

"It's okay to be unsure," Winnie said. "I can't imagine what that must've felt like, having him watch everything." Luna visibly shuddered, and Lex ran his hand along the length of her arm in a comforting manner. "But did you ever consider the toll that would have on him?"

Marilyn hadn't ever considered it. She had always been focused on herself. Mike told her that he couldn't do anything, and if he was right, that could be just as bad as her own torture.

She sighed, glancing up at Winnie. "I don't think I'm strong enough for a relationship after everything."

"Maybe," Winnie said. "I don't think it would be fair to take that decision away from Mike though."

"I don't want to talk about fair," Marilyn snapped. She was frustrated, mostly with herself, and she was confused. Even in the short hours she had been with Mike, she knew he was not okay. He had his own problems that she had never taken into consideration when she had pushed him away a few days ago, and that made her feel guilty.

She ran her palms against her pants nervously. "I'm sorry, Luna, Lex, I just-"

"Don't be," Winnie smiled. "I understand how difficult this is. I know you must be exhausted."

Christian and Mike came through the door, and Marilyn took a moment to look at him, really look at him.

He was pale and extremely thin. The bags under his eyes were so dark that it made him look funny. His hair was long and unkept. He looked beyond exhausted, he looked sick.

Wilder came in behind them with a set of keys.

"Full tank of gas," Wilder said, dropping the keys into Mike's hands. "I think I got it to start a little easier, but we'll see."

Mike frowned, "Why are you doing all of this?"

"You brought us Winnie," Christian smiled. "And we won't let any member of the pack struggle. We're family. All you have to do is ask."

Family. The word tasted bitter and unfamiliar in Mike's mouth, but he couldn't deny the bit of warmth that filled him from head to toe at finally belonging to a pack. He was tired of being a lone wolf, and today made him feel determined to keep going, to find his place.

Once they left, Mike and Marilyn were left in silence.

"You should've told me you weren't okay," Marilyn whispered.

"You didn't need to hear that," Mike said. "You just need to focus on yourself. I don't want to be in the way of you getting better. I know I must remind you of that place-"

"Would you stop," she huffed. "You ramble way too much, Mike."

Mike kept his frown, pulling out the only two mismatched plates he had. He found a knife to cut the casserole with, but only had one fork. He offered it to Marilyn, taking a spoon himself.

"I want you to do whatever you dreamed of doing," he said, as they both sat on his couch. She folded her legs, tucking them beneath her. "Alpha helped me get this job, and I can even support you. I'd be happy to."

"Congrats on the job," she said. "I think I will stay here for a bit, if that's okay. It's quiet. I like it."

He rolled his eyes, "The heater screeches like a banshee, but sure."

She smiled, the first time he had ever seen it and he smiled back, feeling his heart thud happily for the first time in a long time.

"I'm happy you want to stay," he admitted. "But you aren't trapped here. If you want to go, you just have to let me know. If things work out, I can help you get onto your feet."

Marilyn teased, "sounds like you're trying to push me away."

"No, No-"

"It's okay, Mike. It was a joke," she eased, setting down her plate. "I have money. Alpha set up a fund for us, so we each get a check when we decide to go off on our own."

He frowned, "Then why did you call me?"

"Because it was dark and I didn't know where I was. It felt more lonely out there then when everything happened."

He nodded.

"Do you know why that is, Mike?"

He shook his head.

"Because everytime one of those stupid guys did something to me, you were always right there."

"Please don't," he mumbled, voice hoarse and shaky. "You were right. I should've done something, but if they killed you- I couldn't- I couldn't risk that."

She reached for him, cupping his cheek. He released another shaky breath at the slight affection. When had anybody ever touched him in a way that wasn't anger? 

"I'm trying to understand," she said. "Just give me some time."