Chapter 7

"I didn't know it was supposed to rain," Mike sighed, as they ducked into the car away from the loud downpour.

Marilyn laughed. "It's okay. We got to run around for a few hours. It felt good."

"I've never felt so free before," he admitted, glancing over at her. "You're soaked. I don't even think I have anything for you to change."

He turned in his seat, finding his jacket. He offered it to her, cranking up the heat with a shiver.

"It felt like ice," he said, watching her also shiver. "So much for a first date. We need to get you warmed up."

"I'll warm," she said. "I'll be fine. Don't drive in this. Let's just give it a minute. It's nice."

He turned in his seat again, pulling his backpack onto his lap. He shuffled a few things around, pulling out a bag of trail mix. He offered it to her and she smiled.

"I know that look," he said, putting his bag back. "You already picked all of the banana chips out of that one."

"Too bad I also like the chocolate," she said, holding open the bag for him to grab a hand full.

It was quiet. The gentle lull of the rain and the warmth from the car's heat made them both feel sleepy. Or maybe it was the peace they felt from letting their wolves out.

"For what it's worth," he whispered, turning towards her. "I'm really glad you called me that night."

She put the bag down, giving him her full attention. "I am too. I'm glad that we've taken the time to get to know each other. It was selfish of me to never consider your side of things."

He cupped her cheeks, his thumb skimming gently, soothingly. "It wasn't selfish. I could have done better, and I am so, so sorry."

"Maybe you could have," she murmured, breath catching at their close proximity. "But you'd risk all of those other girls, and more to follow if you hadn't done what you did. You are a brave man, Mike, and I'm honored to have you as my mate."

"Mate," he whispered, shocked. He had never heard her claim him before.

"You are my mate, aren't you?" she teased, reaching up to dry a fallen tear drop. She would pretend it was from his damp hair, just for his sake.

He dropped his head and she impatiently tangled her fingers in his hair, moving him faster. His lips pressed to hers, and it was indescribable bliss. She melted into him, trying to get him impossibly closer. If the stupid console weren't in her way, she'd probably get into his lap.

"Impatient," he chuckled, letting her breathe for a moment.

"Just kiss me again," she demanded, already reaching for him a second time. She pushed her lips onto his, softer this time. He pulled back, kissing her cheek, and settling into his seat.

The rain had let up and Mike sighed. He didn't want to leave this moment.

"I want to try hot chocolate," Marilyn said, putting on her seatbelt.

He chuckled, "Yes ma'am."

---

Mike and Marilyn were curled up under his heavy comforter on the sofa bed. The television was playing softly, but they were both lost in their own worlds.

"Thanks for getting me that box of hot chocolate packets," Marilyn said, dropping her head onto his shoulder.

He smiled. "You loved the one from the coffee shop so much, it was the least I could do. It's a quick fix. Although after three cups, you might want to slow down. You could get a bellyache."

She sighed, "I could drink liquid chocolate for the rest of my life."

Mike shook his head. He didn't doubt that one bit.

"I saw your scars," Marilyn murmured after a few moments of silence passed. "...when we were shifting today. Can I know what happened?"

She reached for his hand, lacing their fingers together.

"Before my dad started his whole operation, there was just me. He used to beat me with his belt, and leave me to bleed out. Sometimes I would pass out for hours or days at a time, but every time I came back, he'd make me clean up my own blood."

"Mike," she whimpered, feeling tears burn her eyes. That made a lot of sense.

"Come on, don't cry. It's not nearly as bad as what he put you all through."

"It doesn't matter who had it worse, it's still awful." She drew circles on his palm soothingly. "Were you afraid of him?"

"Terrified, but it's turned into anger and resentment now."

Marilyn leaned up, pushing her lips onto his. He push her hair out of her face with his hands, loving the feeling of her soft hair against his fingertips.

He released her and she settled back down, closer this time, resting against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her back.

"What was prison like?" she asked curiously.

"It felt like freedom," he admitted. "I didn't have to worry about watching my back. My dad was no longer a threat. I knew you were safe, and thst was a huge relief. I still worried about you though. Every minute of every day. I even wrote you letters, but I never sent them."

Marilyn yawned, "I'm glad you didn't. I was so angry, I wouldn't have appreciated them. Did you keep them?"

"Yes, but they are painful. We'll have to save them for another day," he murmured, watching as her eyes fluttered. She was fighting sleep, and it was cute.

"Go to sleep," he said, kissing her forehead. He settled back, feeling warm and content, and loved.