Epilogue

Steve Randle was drafted in 1969 and served in the army for two years. After he returned home, he moved to downtown Tulsa, where he became a partner in an auto-repair business. He married twenty-two year old Melanie Dale in 1971, and the couple had three children, Dallas in 1974, Clara in 1976, and Timothy in 1977.

Keith "Two-Bit" Matthews never left the old neighborhood. He got odd jobs, working in gas stations and restaurants on the Ribbon. He eventually reconnected with Marcia, and they settled down together but never married. The couple had no children.

Curly and Tim Shepard escaped long sentences for their robbery charges through a plea deal, in which they served six months each and then remained on probation for eighteen months. Afterwards, they moved to Chicago, Illinois, where they quickly became involved with the Chicago mob. Curly was only ever an associate, but Tim rose through the ranks to become a high-ranking Soldier. Curly was eventually killed in a shootout with police at the age of 24, in 1975.

Bryon Douglas stayed in school and even attended the local community college for a few years in hopes of getting a degree in electrical engineering. However, he was expelled after being arrested for shoplifting. He was released in 1972 and moved in with his good friend Ponyboy, where he lived for many years.

Sodapop Curtis got a job at the auto repair shop at the DX. He became the head auto repairman in 1971, and went back to school to finish his high school degree the following year. He got married to twenty-three year old Annaliese Tripinsky in 1972, and the couple had two children, Cola and Tootsie, in 1973 and 1976.

Darrel Curtis was drafted into the army in 1969 and served in the military for two years. After he returned home, he worked hard and eventually earned enough money to start his own roofing business. He married Diana Jean in the fall of 1972, and they had one child, a boy named Johnny.

Diana Jean-Curtis went to college at the University of Tulsa, where she earned a degree in education and another in social justice, and graduated in 1972. She was hired as the principal and director of admissions at Central Tulsa High School. She married Darrel Curtis in 1972 and had one child, Johnny, in 1973.

Ponyboy Curtis was accepted into the University of Oklahoma on a full-ride scholarship for cross country running. He got his degree in creative writing and moved back to Tulsa to start his writing career. He wrote three books total, all about his life as a greaser. He never married, instead adopting a cat whom he named Sunny.

Betty Anne Winters (neé Kay) moved back to Canton, Oklahoma, her mother's hometown, after graduation. She worked as a clerk in a clothing boutique for three years before marrying Anthony Winters at age 21, in 1973. She and Anthony, a local farmer, bought a farm together and had four children: Henry in 1974, Darlene in 1975, Judith in 1977, and Lacie in 1979. Betty never got another job, focusing on her family instead. She continued to sketch in her free time.